Originally posted by Meadowrose:
1) Earth Abides by George R Stewart. I reread this one occasionally. America's recovery following an illness that wipes out most of the population as seen through the eyes of the main character.
I've read this too, but for apocalyptic end-of-the-world fiction, I prefer "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank. Yes, it's dated (set in central Florida before the onset of the Disney empire) but still very engrossing.

And, of course, for the granddaddy of Apocalypse Fiction, the short story that I read as a kid in a science fiction anthology, the story that really got that "sense of wonder" going, try "A Pail Of Air" by Fritz Leiber. What can I say? It hit me at a sensitive time.

Books I have read so far:

1. The Sun's Bride by Gillian Bradshaw. 260 B.C. Isokrates of Kameiros, from Rhodes, is the helmsman of a new trireme that captures a pirate ship. On board is Dionysia, the escaped mistress of the King. She carries important letters that will spark a crisis between Greece and Egypt. Isokrates, a self-made man, feels he is too poor for a Companion of the King. But you never know...

2. Discovering The Soul of Service by Leonard L. Berry. The author did in-depth studies on twelve organizations of various types to see how they managed to be tops in their field. Readable and enjoyable, but duplicating the mindset of the successful organizations isn't all that easy.

3. The Black Tower by P.D. James. Would you believe that this is the first P.D. James book I've ever read? It certainly won't be the last. Detective Adam Dalgliesh, invalided and recovering, is asked by an old friend to visit. Unfortunately, the old friend dies before Adam gets there. Heart attack? Or murder? And it goes on from there.

4. Soft Target by Stephen Hunter. Terrorists take over the Mall of America in Minneapolis. Any book that begins with Santa getting shot in the head (sorry) definitely grabs your attention. Tense and absorbing.