The Heart-Shaped Box – Joe Hill

I enjoyed this modern ghost story, it was quite entertaining. But I can’t say that I understand the huge buzz that there’s been around this one. It was…okay.

Dweller – Jeff Strand

Now this horror tale I absolutely loved. It could have been a simple, pulp horror tale of an ape-man creature living in the woods and attacking humans. It does have its odd moments of horror, but, in the end, and in an odd fashion, it was really a simple tale of friendship. When he was eight, Toby, met a monster in the woods – and over the years the loner human, who finds it increasingly difficult to get along in human society, and the long-orphaned creature, share their lives together in an unlikely bond. The witty tone throughout helps lift this above the usual horror fare. And, given the bittersweet ending, this one reminded me in some ways of Dean Koontz’s Watchers. I cried at the end of that one, too. laugh

Pressure – Jeff Strand

A chilling thriller. Poor Alex has the misfortune to cross paths with a budding psychopath in his 12 YO boarding school room-mate. A psychopath who, unfortunately, develops an obsession with tormenting his former ‘friend’.

I’m definitely going to have to look out for more from this author…

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers