Okay, against my better judgement, I’m going to add my two cents (which is probably more than my thoughts are worth blush ).

I have to say that I’m confused. By reading the posts, I get the feeling that we’re not allowed to talk about ‘canon’ anymore. Why? Has it become a dirty word and no one sent me the memo?

I would think that ‘canon’ is sort of an important element to consider when writing any story that claims to be fanfic of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - even if the author chooses not to follow it. After all, canon is where our characters come from. So for the remainder of this post, pretend I didn’t get the memo. laugh

In my opinion, canon clearly portrays a number of things while there are certainly other things that aren’t so clear. As has been mentioned above, Clark is clearly the real character in Lois and Clark and Superman is the disguise. I suspect we all agree on that (although I may be wrong).

But still... if we can do anything we want with the characters then why can’t we write stories where Superman is the real character and Clark is simply the disquise - or in other words, Superman Returns fics? Why can’t we write Smallville stories and simply say ‘Hey this is an alternate take on the characters?’ Doesn’t there have to be some sort of standard - however loose - for what we consider Lois and Clark stories? Why, for example, is a George and Lynn story not simply considered an alternate universe version of Lois and Clark?

So... although we might not always agree as to what is or isn’t in character, isn’t it always an important discussion to have? And doesn’t that require that we look back at canon - and work on trying to explain why things are different if we deviate from canon? Or simply admit that our Lois or Clark is acting out of character in a particular story that we write - but that we wanted to explore the premise anyway.

So... on to the topic of this thread. Canon says that Lois and Clark are soulmates: destined to meet and fall in love lifetime after lifetime. Now, in real life, I don’t believe in soulmates. (But then again, in real life, I happen to think that “falling in love” is nothing more than an instinctive animal reaction designed to ensure the propagation of the species.) However, the show clearly portrayed Lois and Clark’s love as ‘the one true love that changes you.’

Now, I don’t have a problem with either Lois or Clark falling in love with someone else before they meet or even after one of them dies. But, in my opinion, there has to be something qualitatively different about those relationships. Not that the relationships can't be good - just different. In the Lois and Clark universe, Lois and Clark are soulmates - and one can’t, to my understanding of the concept, have serial soulmates. To me, that is one of the things that makes a story uniquely Lois and Clark.

Having said that, I think anyone should feel free to write whatever they want - just like I, as a reader, have the right to say that I’m not interested in reading such stories or that I disagree with your take on the characters - just like you’re free to say that you disagree with my take on the characters. Sometimes, I might even look at your comments and realize that you’re right - that I have stepped over the lines of what is or is not a true portrayal of the characters. Maybe at that point, I’ll rethink the story or the characters - and correct the problem. Or maybe I’ll say: “You’re right. But I still want to explore this idea anyway.” Or maybe we’ll agree to disagree about the characters and all go on our merry way.

Now, that doesn’t mean that some of that criticism won’t hurt. I’ve been known to storm around my house for a couple of hours after someone has criticized one of my stories - scaring my dog half to death eek . I’ve been known to rant and rave - and even cry - because someone told me there was something wrong with my story. Still, once I’ve gotten past that, and had a chance to think about what the person has to say, I often find that I agree with them (not always, of course. And there are people whose criticism I simply ignore - sometimes not even bothering to read it - because I know we are always going to disagree.) Still, some of the most inspired moments in my stories are the result of heeding to constructive criticism. And, yes, some of the criticism has been about ‘characterization.’

Finally, I’d like to address some of the comments Terry leveled at Carol. I thought the comments were unfair. I think Carol is as entitled to her opinion as you are to yours, Terry. I suspect you’d like everyone to see things the way you do - and yet you criticize Carol by saying that she wants everyone to see things the way she does. Truth is, all of us would like to have everyone see everything the way we do. It’s human nature. (I know, after all, I want all of you to agree with me laugh ). And reading through Carol's comments, I certainly didn't see anything I thought was disrespectful. So I think we would all be better served if we just stated our opinions and left the personal attacks out of it.

Anyway, those are my two cents worth (although if you offered me a cent and a half, I’d probably sell them for that)

ML wave (who will now go back and climb under her rock)

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane