I would say that as far as LnC fanfic goes, Clark can be completely happy with a woman who isn't Lois, but Lois can't be completely happy with a man who isn't Clark. So until someone actually writes a story where Lois is very happily married to a man who isn't Clark, I don't think your question is completely valid, Terry.
I can't agree here, Ann. Even if nobody has written such a story that doesn't necessarily mean that people in general don't want Lois to be happy with a man who is not Clark. I'd just say that the interest in stories where Lois and Clark are not the happy couple isn't that great. After all we're all LnC fans for some reason. And I guess it's just harder to imagine that Clark would turn Lois down in an elseworld story than that it would happen the other way round. After all Lois did reject Clark.

Of course you can argue that Clark wasn't any better in the episode "Contact". But I'd say that Lois behavior throughout the first two seasons gives authors more possible starting points to develop a healthy relationship between Clark and a woman other than Lois. Besides, we know little about Clark's past relationships, while we do know that Lois used to have trouble with men before she met Clark.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool