The type of story which Ann, Carol and others enjoy and which suit their tastes make up more or less the vast majority of fanfic posted on these mbs. Probably 90% or so.

By contrast, the type of fanfic which you don't enjoy - but which many others do - occupies a very small space in the entirety of the fanfic posted here.
Thank you so much for this Labrat.

I have to argree with the points made thoughtfully and respectfully by Barbara, DJ, Terry and Labrat to name a few.

To add my usual .02. I can't help but feel scared when this discussion comes around because I am in the minority who like stories that are not fairy tales and present less explored areas of our favorite characters. I feel that, in theory, with every harsh review authors get for simply the *premise* of their fics (which cannot be *fixed* without scrapping the whole story), the danger of decreasing that 10% of different fanfics increases (and actually what appears to happen is that just moving the fic in one direction makes people sound the alarm, regardless where the fic might really be going).

Sure this is a Lois and Clark forum, but I don't see why any writer that goes off the beaten path at best gets told flat out that he/she will lose X person's readership, or worse yet that she/he should be labeled as hostile to Lois for X plot. Surely it is possible for people to write to simply pursue an idea without having an anti-Lois agenda. I mean obviously some do, but to read so much about motive in writing if the author hasn't expressed as much is to make alienating assumptions.

Like Labrat mentioned the amount of "mainstream" eternal love LnC fics is quite large. Those who try something different already go against the grain and will probably recieve less reviews. However, must they also deal with flat out criticism of their premise as well? It's like kicking people who are already at a disadvantage.

For the sake of a tolerant, diverse community, if you don't have anything constructive to say it really is better to say nothing at all.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png