Thankfully, Fuentes admitted that his bomb was only a ruse. Clark only hoped the man was telling the truth.
How can they believe him? But if they keep looking anyway, how long should they keep at it before they decide he's telling the truth? I suppose they would also look into possible ways that Fuentes could have obtained a nuke, and if it's sufficiently unreasonable then there's a good reason to believe him.

Clark went himself to cover Superman’s actions around the country, on his own dime. Perry had told him to ‘screw the expenses’ and that he would find a way to cover Clark’s costs.
This could become problematic, but I guess Perry could find a way to smooth it over without letting Clark know that he knows. I imagine that Clark's travel costs are nonexistent if he's going "on his own dime", so he would have no receipts to give Perry to be reimbursed. Perry needs to offer for show, though.

‘A woman should never have to call a man, unless it’s an emergency,’ she would say. ‘If he doesn’t call, he clearly isn’t interested enough to care.’
What a whiny !@#$.

Something is happening in one of my investigations that I need your input on, urgently.
Is she actually going to tell him about her Luthor investigation? I hope so.

He had promised her that he would talk to her this week, although he never said it would be over a squid dinner.
Could she mean "octopus"?

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)