On the other hand, it was possible he had given up hope entirely.
hyper Maybe this means she will go with him for Christmans.

She had sent Clark home with some leftovers for Lois and a note, which informed her that Lois was welcome at their home at any time, even if for no other reason than to even up the male/female ratio. Lois vowed Martha must have been using her powers of temptation to get Lois to forgive Clark by Christmas, so Lois could have more access to the love and home-cooked food that filled the Kent house.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Lois had invited Clark to share the leftovers with her, hadn’t she?
hyper They had a meal together.

Martha’s pumpkin pie, which Clark said she had made from scratch, including homegrown pumpkin, was melt-in-her-mouth delicious. Even Clark had eaten a sliver, but that was because Martha had told him it was sugar free. Lois was doubtful about the truth of that statement, but if Clark couldn’t tell, she wasn’t going to rat Martha out and halt Clark’s progress.
Clark: I know it's not true either, but I don;t want to admit that to all my mind, my recovery might be interrupted if my mind learned too much.

When Clark left for the night, Lois had given him a kiss on the cheek and a hug, which she insisted that he pass on to Martha the next time he saw her.
Oh, is that how Lois justified doing this in her mind, now is it?

With his hand upon his cheek, he had stared at her with such longing for a moment, which had then stretched into two, before Lois had stepped away. She hadn’t wanted to ruin the evening by allowing Clark to try to kiss her… or not. She figured it best not to give him the opportunity… or her. She didn’t trust herself to do the right thing should he ever embrace her. She hated that with Clark the ‘right thing’ felt so wrong.
dance dance She wants to kiss Clark.

True, he had saved her from that skateboarder pushing her into traffic that afternoon,
dance Clark saved her life, again.

“Okay,” Lois replied, almost before she realized what she was doing. “Find Clark and tell him he can stay the night here… with me… in my apartment.”

Shock, and then surprise, flashed quickly across his face.
He is shocked for a different reason than she thinks he is shocked. Now let's see how much she will protest against the impression she wanted to sleep with Clark.

Lois: I want Clark here so I can sleep.

SM: Are you sure you want to "sleep" with Clark.

Lois: I am sure I don't want to sleep with Clark.

SM: I thought you said you wanted him here so you could sleep.

Lois: But not to sleep with him. I never think about sleeping with him. The thought never enters my mind. I never think about running my hand over his broad shoulders. Not at all.

“Unless you’d rather stay,” she murmured.
SM: No, I had much rather have Clark sleep with you.

Superman pointed over his shoulder with his thumb. “I have some errands to run,” he said, his voice hoarse.

“Of course you do,” Lois said with a nod. Her brow furrowed in confusion as his words sunk in. “Errands?”
I did not realize this was canon until I rewatched the show today.

“I hate that you’re alone,” she said.

“I’m not alone, Lois. I have you,” he replied, brushing her hair back behind her ear once more. “I’ll always have you.”
Except he does not really believe this. However he thinks it will be true from her perspective.
“No, Lois, I’ll never really have you,” he echoed. “You belong with Clark.”

Lois grabbed his cape, dragged him back inside the apartment, and slammed her door. “I’m only going to say this once, Superman,” she said, pointing her finger in his face. “I don’t belong to Clark any more than I belong to you or Luthor or any other man for that matter.
Belong with and belong to are entirely different. Although I can also see why Lois would get defensive about SM telling her who she belongs with.

“I meant only that he was your true soul mate, not me,” he said,
Now they are talking around each other. Clark is speaking about real Clark who died in 1966, while Lois thinks he means Chuck. I was half hoping SM would make this more clear, but I guess not. Maybe at some level he has not given up all hope that Wells will fail.

The Man of Steel thought Clark was her soul mate? Was that the real reason behind Superman’s belief that they shouldn’t have a relationship? Moreover, why had he phrased it in the past tense? “Was.” Did he think she was too stubborn to ever forgive Clark too? Men!
Since she knows that SM knows about dead Clark, I am half surprised she does not think he is talking about dead Clark, especially since she has told herself dead Clark is her true soulmate.

“Don’t do that,” Clark said with relief. “I almost burst in here.”
That would have been a fun seen to see.

Lois rolled her eyes. He had better not expect that they would spend Christmas together. She had a tradition of working on Christmas, and she wasn’t going to break it for any man, even one who erroneously thought he was her soul mate.
Clark: Lois, I have never claimed to be your soulmate.

John Pack Lambert