Chapter 13. Doesn't seem all that lucky to me.

They're making good progress on the case, and Dan is being surprisingly helpful. I wonder when he'll start to distance himself from Mayson to the point where she notices and includes him in her out-of-phase reality of rejection and loss. I don't think he realizes how dangerous she can be.

Nice to see Lois and Clark smiling at each other. Also nice to see Lois' casual acceptance of Clark's Superman persona. She's starting to treat him like one person. Maybe that mental integration thing in her mind is moving along better than he'd hoped.

Also seems that the criminals' conspiracy is coming apart. Albie appears to be running. Angry shouting between the others has become the norm. McCarthy keeps failing to deliver the deaths he promised. They're getting close to desperate - and very dangerous.

Melissa Scott, Asst. ME, is gone. And she's deep in this, right up to her presumably pretty chin. And wow! some of the Resurrection pill recipients died for real? These people are even scarier than in the series.

Now Mary Williams, Mayson's assistant, is dead. The cops have Chris Gomez alive, one of the bad guys (interesting how you didn't mention the name), and Williams has been murdered inside a police interrogation room. I understand that the baddies want to plug a leak and strew terror among their other accomplices, but the timing was terrible. The pool of suspects is small and isolated, and finding the actual shooter/stabber/clubber shouldn't be all that hard.

Really good "reader incentive" though. Kudos for continuing to end the chapters on a "What The Front Door?!" moment.

I'm looking forward to the next installment. Who's going to die? What insane thing will Mayson do next? Will Dan help Clark and Lois make a breakthrough to solve the case, or is he another prospective victim? Was the money Albie took laced with poison? (I used that one once - it's a good twist.) Will Rollie Vale go back to prison or die in the crossfire? What will happen to McCarthy? Will Clark keep saving Lois?

So many possible paths, so many possible outcomes. This is still a compelling tale.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing