S1.E11 - "No Holds Barred"

In this episode a professional wrestler keeps winning matches (and putting his opponents in hospital) by using a hold called the "Paralyzer". Perry hires an award winning college wrestler to watch the fighter fight and figure out what he's doing, because Perry figures it must be illegal. (That the government would still let the fights go on after the man put 7 other wrestlers in the hospital is beyond me!) Clark finds out that the wrestling promoter is crooked and scores two tickets to the next fight from the promoter's competition whom the crooked promoter is trying to put out of business. Clark gives the tickets to the college wrestler (I forget what his name is -- let's nickname him CW) and that guy turns and asks Lois to go with him on a date. Boy, doesn't Clark look surprised by *that* turn of events.

The wrestler paralyses his competitor during that match and challenges anyone to wrestle him. CW does so. He knows he wrestles better and thinks he can beat the "paralyzing wrestler". Lois tells Perry that he needs to talk CW out of the match. Clark sides with CW, agreeing that he thinks CW can beat the "paralyzer". Lois says it's suicidal and stomps out, telling Clark she'll never forgive him.

Even Perry takes Clark to the side and asks him if he sided with CW out of jealousy over Lois. Clark reassures Perry that he really thinks CW can beat the other guy. Clark discovers that the bad wrestling promoter is holding a East Indian swami, with knowledge of pressure points, hostage. The wrestler had been winning his matches by using pressure points to paralyze his opponent. Superman talks to the man and gets him to reveal to him the secret of the pressure points, which Clark then teaches to CW so that he can avoid them.

With this new knowledge CW wins his match against the bad wrestler (much to Lois's relief). Clark discovers that the bad promoter is about to punish the swami and he can't escape to rescue him because Clark's friend the other promoter is trying to get CW to join his wrestling team as a professional wrestler. Finally Clark escapes and saves the Swami just before Lois and Perry break down the bad promoter's door.

Clearly, I see a correlation between this episode and the cyborg boxers from S1 of LnC. The upped anti that Lois is dating another man, and Perry knows that it might bother Clark so much that he might said (nice) man into the hospital out of jealousy hints that there might be more to Lois and Clark’s relationship than the show has ever showed.

Lois’s over-the-top reaction to Clark siding with CW, over her, is perfect Lois Lane as we know and love her. thumbsup I’m even wondering if she also is thinking along the same lines as Perry.

The whole A-Plot regarding the pressure points is interesting and even a bit new age-ish for the 1950s. I applaud the writers and producers for coming up with such an inventive angle. clap

Clark having CW toss Jimmy around while practicing his moves to ward off the pressure point holds is hilarious. clap Lots of fun.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.