First of all, if the Daily Planet received a letter like that now, Lois would be more likely to write about the neglected child left at home to fend for herself.

Secondly, printing of the unchaperoned child's address in the paper! Perry White is lucky that the girl's mother didn't sue when her daughter got kidnapped.

It was bad enough that the mother blamed Superman when he showed up of kidnapping her daughter, because the daughter left a note, saying that 'Superman had taken her to the fair'. She didn't even give him the benefit of a doubt, but probably that was because he flew in (uninvited) into her living room. I can't imagine a superhero taking a child off to a fair without the permission of the child's parents nowadays.
I agree. What a difference fifty or sixty years has made!

Another movie with this same theme: The classic, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" . In there, Michael Rennie, the alien Klaatu, disguises himself as a human. He takes rooms at a boarding house. One of the tenants is a single mother (WWII widow) with a young son.

The mother and her boyfriend go on a day trip, and Klaatu volunteers to babysit the kid. No problem! They've known this guy for less than 24 hours, but he wears a nice suit and tie, so he must be OK. It's all right for your precious son to go off alone with this guy who could be a space alien, for all you know. /heh heh/

However, the film is redeemed (in my eyes at least) by the classic line: "Klaatu barada nikto!"