The King's Mistress - Gillian Bagwell

I found a section of cheap ebooks on my Nexus and decided to give this one a go. I have to admit that there are certain advantages to reading on the Nexus as opposed to the Kindle. I do appreciate a nice full colour book cover for one. That's something I do miss on the Kindle. I also liked that it was a touch screen and the page turning feature.

The book itself however....Jane Lane - a young noblewoman who risked death by aiding the fugitive Prince Charles to escape Oliver Cromwell - was obviously an extraordinary woman for her times and her story is one of amazing courage and excitement. Not only did she aid Charles in escape to France but when she returned home and learned that her part in the plot had been discovered she simply walked out of her home to the nearest port and found her way alone to Charles' French court in exile.

Sadly, the book gave me no sense of what an astonishing adventure this was. It wasn't badly written, but there was just some spark missing, so that it never truly engaged me. The real story read on Wiki was much more enthralling than this ever got.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers