Moonlight Mile - Dennis Lehane

I've always had a great deal of affection for Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro characters so I was looking forward to this new addition to the series.

I enjoyed it but it felt a little flat - undoubtedly because our heroes were now parents and reluctant detectives with much of the elements which had made them so interesting removed. This was mostly a study in leaving the excitements of unburdened youth behind and facing up to the staid burdens of a mortgage and adulthood. So it was a little like having to say goodbye to some old friends and tinged with that sadness.

So that aspect was bound to be slightly disappointing and I hope if there's another book in the series Kenzie changes his mind pronto about giving up on his previous career choices!

Sacrifice - S. J. Bolton
Awakening - S. J. Bolton

Two of the best thrillers I've read this year - brilliant. Full of twists and turns, great characters and two terrific heroines. With Awakening, I was also fascinated by the theory of the divinity of snakes, which I'd never heard before. These have definitely rocketed Bolton to the ranks of my favorite authors list and someone whose books I'll be snapping up soon as I can get my hands on them.

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers