Soldier Son Trilogy – Robin Hobb

I Shaman’s Crossing (re-read)
II Forest Mage
III Renegade’s Magic

This trilogy is the one disappointment I’ve encountered from Robin Hobb. I read the first book some years back and although it was an okay read, never felt the need to go any further. I felt there was too little fantasy in the book and that it might as well have been called Tom Brown’s Schooldays, being a tale of a young noble destined to be trained as a soldier in a barely fictionalised Old American West.

But since I had all three books on my Kindle, I figured I’d give it a go. My opinion didn’t change regarding book one. Book two was much of the same and unfortunately book three was largely set in a part of the world, among characters that I didn’t care about and wasn’t much interested in, not to mention very repetitive. But I remained invested enough in wanting a happy ending for the characters, particularly our hero, that I made it to the end. And that ending did leave me with a smile – but, hoo boy, it was a heck of a long, boring slog to get there. Very disappointing.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers