Ravens – George Dawes Green

This started off with a quirky idea – a family wins millions on the super lottery and come to the attention of a couple of passing thugs, who keep them hostage in their home and demand half the winnings. But it was so poorly executed that it became increasingly irritating to read. More and more, none of the characters acted in any logical manner and the further I read into the book, the more the plot made zero sense.

I think that the author may have been trying to imply that the family was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, but if so he has no idea of the psychology of the condition. I was amazed, when reading the Amazon reviews (many of which are as incredulous as I am that this book was so terrible and so overhyped by the publisher to boot) that this apparently took 13 years to write! Truly the most remarkable thing about this one. I want my wasted evening back. :p

The Night Watchman – Mark Mynheir

The first in a series of Chandler-esque thrillers. Not the best I’ve ever read for plot, but the principal characters were likeable and engaging and I wouldn’t mind reading more.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers