Closer Than Blood – Greg Olsen
Victim Six - Greg Olsen

The first of these thrillers was a bit of a mishmash. The plot was all over the place and too many characters were introduced too soon at the start, often with little idea of where they fit into the plot. The writing was...average. But for all that, it wasn’t that bad and I did go to sleep about two thirds of the way through with my mind buzzing over how the plot would resolve itself.

The second was a little better as far as plot, character introduction and pacing were concerned.

About on par with Mary Higgins Clark for me, although a little more messy in the execution.

They Thirst – Robert McCammon

Still the best vampire novel around for me - Salem’s Lot being the second – as vampires take over Los Angeles in a chillingly plausible way.

Oddly enough, the author now refuses to allow his early works to be reprinted as he apparently doesn’t think they’re up to scratch. While I’d agree with him when it comes to Baal, Bethany’s Sin and The Night Boat – his first three novels, which are nothing more than pulp horror books and strangely not on par with the great novels he came up with shortly afterwards – I’m always surprised that he includes this one in that opinion. I disagree with him vehemently, obviously!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers