When I was in college, one of my music teachers (call her "Sally") once told me that her mother felt "abandoned" by "Sally" because "Sally" had put her husband's needs before those of her mother. Different family dynamics for each family, I guess. "Sally" took that experience and did her best to let her daughters go when it came time for them to leave the nest.

When you add a person to any group, no matter whether it's a professional or recreational or family group, you change the dynamic. (I'm sure Tank will agree with me that when you change out a player in your band, the band sounds different. Not always better, not always worse, sometimes about the same, just different.) The people in the group now react to the newcomer, some more positively than others. And there's always the chance that the group will divide by fission and, in the case of a family member who marries, will squeeze out the newlyweds.

And sometimes the newlyweds just want to be alone, and it has nothing to do with rejecting other family members. I know that when my wife and I were first married, we enjoyed having people come over or invite us out, but not on the spur of the moment (especially not if they just dropped in on us), because we might be - uh - reading or watching a very important TV program. Yeah, that's it. We both like to read. We read a lot of books and stuff back then.

But my wife and I are close friends, even after almost thirty-two years of marriage. We don't always agree, and neither of us is always right, but we're determined to stay together. We're even taking vacation together this week just so we can hang out together.

And do housework and yard work, of course. You kinda have to be friends to do yard work together or you tend to have lots of unresolved arguments.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing