I kind of agree with everyone. I think that you should definitely consider your spouse your best friend but it doesn't mean you can't have same sex best friends also.

I mean, you're going to have certain intimate things that you can only share with your spouse. (Family problems, health problems, etc.)

But then there's your girl friends who you can talk about your PMS with, or maybe if you're a guy and your spouse doesn't like sports, you can only really connect with sports with your guy pals.

I, myself, have a lot of close girl friends that I see quite frequently and consider my best friends. But Malky (hubby) is also my best friend.

I agree with Jenn in that, as we get older, its sometimes hard to keep in touch with college friends and old social circles so its definitely important to have a close, bestfriend type relationship with your spouse.

I also think it can go the other way though. My sister will be married 1 year in May and (even though she's a little better now) she really didn't want to hang out with anyone but her hubby for a long time. I mean, he would have to work until 10PM or so, and I would ask her if she wanted to come over to my house (at around 6 or so) and she'd say she couldn't cause she wanted to be home in case he came home early. Or I'd ask her to a movie and she'd say she couldn't go cause Jason was working. What?!! dizzy Where's the logic in that? That just seemed unhealthy to me or maybe I'm just a little bitter cause I felt rejected. huh

Anyways, nice topic of discussion Jenn.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw