Continuing some fanfic recommendations on "Pilot"-based fics, or at least fics about the beginning or first meeting of Lois and Clark.

Anonpip wrote A Triangle With Three Sides - what if Clark didn't want to become Superman?

Some fics about alt-Clark are those written by Margaret Brignell. She wrote a whole series of his beginnings, the "Only You" series. It starts with Only You: If Only and continues for four more excellent fics.

Chris Carr penned the extraordinary three-hankie weeper, Some Kind of Angel . Lois is dead - she died in the Congo. What is alt-Clark's life like? His Lois is missing. Canon Lois went back to her own dimension. What does he have to live for? What can happen from here? Despite my description, there is a happy ending.

Shayne Terry writes about alt-Clark meeting Lois via newspaper ad in Single White Kryptonian . "Single white Kryptonian male, 27 seeks native counterpart for companionship or more. If you're an intelligent, ambitious professional female, I'll sweep you off your feet and take you for long moonlit flights above the clouds. Agoraphobics need not apply. Non-smoker preferred."

I love Pam Jernigan's Tryst , which is best described by the Archive blurb: "Lois may have died in the Congo at the hands of a clever villain, but that won't stop our heroes from getting the best of him. Destiny has decided that Lois and Clark *will* meet and fall in love -- a little thing like death won't be allowed to interfere." Quick summary: Ghost Lois meets alt-Clark, and they fall in love. smile
Pam has another fine fic about alt-Clark meeting Lois in In Any Universe .

ML Thompson tells us what might have happened if Tempus never intervened in the alt-world in The Other Woman . Alt-Clark is married to Lana, and then Lois Lane returns to the Daily Planet after being in the Congo. Will Lois be content with being the "other woman"? (Hint: No.)

And what if alt-Clark decided to rebuild Herb's time machine (you know, he did see the plans) and go back in time to try to save his Lois from death in the Congo? Things might not go all that smoothly, in ML's The Time Traveler\'s Wife .

ML is probably the queen of well-written, engaging, fun-to-read alt-beginning stories (not just about alt-Clark, but alternate beginnings in general.) She's got several:

in Cause and Effect , Lois and Clark meet up four years prior to their official canon meeting at the Daily Planet. Will true love triumph, or will terrorists get in the way?

What if Lois meets not Clark, but Lord Kal-El of New Krypton? Well, ML tells us what might have happened in Escape From New Krypton . Tons of action, alien invaders, kryptonite, stalwart newspaper editors, and true love.

What if Lois was convicted of murder (e.g., the events of "The People Vs Lois Lane") but Clark wasn't there at the Planet? What if he were hired to replace Lois because she had to go to prison? And what if he tried to prove her innocence? Don't miss Guilty Until Proven Innocent .

What if Lois had the powers, right from the beginning? A Matter of Destiny tells us what might have happened.

And in Without Checking The Water Level , our heroes again meet earlier and in a different place than in canon.

Geez, I think I've recommended half of ML Thompson's oeuvre. There are so many other good authors whose fics deserve recommendation too, and I'm sorry if I miss anyone's favorites.

Deadly Chakram has a thought-provoking and interesting fic in Specimen S . "What if Jonathan and Martha Kent were not the ones to find the infant Kal-El? Just how much of life is chance? And how much is fate?"

Tempus has another evil plan in Yvonne Connell's chiling Misery . Let's just say that Clark must overcome more than the usual amount of adversity.

Raconteur boldly dispenses with part of the usual mythos - in her trilogy of fics, Clark and Lois do NOT work at the Daily Planet. Instead, in the Lifeflight series, they are physicians.

In Shayne Terry's Duet , Clark Kent is a hot-shot musician with a secret to hide, and Lois Lane is an entertainment attorney who wants to sign him to a contract.