Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
It’s just that the fact that Martha and Jonathan were given bigger roles on “Lois and Clark” is one reason why I like that show just a little bit more than the others. smile
Martha and Jonathan really added a lot to the show. They are good foils for Clark and a good source of advice. This version of Clark really needed them because they were his only confidants. He doesn't have Bruce Wayne as a best friend, he doesn't have any League to relate to, and for a long time he doesn't have Lois to confide in. Some other versions of Superman (like the comics in the 30's and 40's) were total loners without confidants, but this Clark seems much more emotionally vulnerable, and, frankly, more human, and he needs that connection more.

Martha really pulls off that mix between traditional farmer's wife and modern, educated woman. I like the montage of her designing Clark's suit, but it raises a lot of questions and points out abilities that never really get mentioned again. Martha can't just sew. She can design clothes. I've sewed a little bit, and I can follow a basic pattern, but that's a far cry from being able to come up with a pattern from scratch. There's a lot more you have to know to be able to whip up a dozen different skin-tight, well-fitting outfits the way she did. Then there's the question of where she got the fabric. Presumably, all that stuff could be stocked at the local fabric store in Smallville, but the staff at the store are probably her long-time friends and would ask her what sort of project she was working on. Gossip ensues. Maybe she could have some reasonable excuse the first time, but people are going to get suspicious if she's routinely buying copious amounts of red and blue fabric and thread. I figure Clark flew her to some large city somewhere where she could be reasonably anonymous. Then, once they've decided on the suit they should buy a huge amount of the fabric in bulk under a false name, if need be. They don't want to run the risk of that particular shade of blue spandex becoming unavailable. She's probably also got a fancy, expensive embroidery machine to make new S-shields. Those get singed reasonably often.

Wow, I didn't expect to rant so much about Martha's sewing. It's a good thing they settled on the red and blue, though, because I can't see Superman going over as well dressed in leopard print. wink

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)