I agree. I like that they Deborah Joy LeVine took the Superman canon (comics) and did her own thing. I love that Clark Kent was the real Superman and the tights were his disguise. He seemed more real than the Reeves character who gave up everything he was before once he learned about his true heritage.

I also like that they made Perry White different and gave him his own catch phrases apart from what was known.

Michael Landes' Jimmy was a more rounded character than the ones I had previously, especially in the Chris Reeves film, where he was just happy-go-lucky. I think Justin Whalen' portrayal was more the stereotypical Jimmy.

I loved the Cat Grant character and was disappointed when she disappeared without a good-bye at the end of S1. She was totally underutilized in the series, which is why she's playing a larger role in my current story. [Linked Image]

Martha and Jonathan were perfect. Wise, unique, and very real and not the stereotypical country / farm folk.

I don't know if Lex ever tried to romance Lois in the comic canon, but that was a new take on the Triangle built for two. He really threw a wrench into Clark trying to romance Lois, especially in the pilot, when Clark flies off the handle just because Lois is going to interview Lex.

I really liked the Lucy character too. She really helped humanize Lois and make her more well-rounded and grounded in reality. I was disappointed that she faded into the woodwork before episode 4.

I do have to disagree with you on this point:
Considering that both “Superman Returns” and “Smallville” were heavily influenced by the Christopher Reeve films, I think “Lois and Clark” deserves a lot of credit for doing its own thing.
Smallville's pilot was unique in the fact that it had the meteor shower which brought Kal-El to Smallville basically destroyed the town, killing and injuring a lot of people. Sure, there was that whole picking up the truck homage, which I could have lived without. I liked how Kal-El's arrival influenced everyone's life around him, including Lana's and Lex's, even before they met. I also liked the friendship that grew up between Lex and Clark. It made Lex's transformation to evil, even more sinister.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.