I started to rewatch the series, and I thought I’d share some of my thoughts on the episodes as I go along. Last night I watched the Pilot.

I’ve always thought “Lois and Clark” had a really good Pilot. Looking back on it, I don’t think the series gets the proper credit it should have for being a pretty fresh take on the Superman story while still remaining very true to the Superman story at the same time. Considering that both “Superman Returns” and “Smallville” were heavily influenced by the Christopher Reeve films, I think “Lois and Clark” deserves a lot of credit for doing its own thing.

Now, I can appreciate Christopher Reeve’s take on Clark Kent/Superman, but I always preferred the take on Clark being played as a three dimensional character and not just Superman’s bumbling disguise. I think that Dean Cain did a great job of providing us with a Clark Kent who was very much fleshed out as a character, and that’s what I like most about him.

Teri Hatcher gave us a great portrayal of Lois, as well. What I think interested me the most about her Lois Lane was that she was such a complicated character. Throughout the Pilot, I found her to be smart, tough, a little mean at times, cocky, funny, and vulnerable. To be able to play all of those different traits, especially the bad traits, and still come out as a likeable character is quite an accomplishment, and I feel like Teri Hatcher deserves a lot of credit for that.

John Shea’s Lex Luthor is one of my favorite villains of the show. The main reason for that is probably that he’s such a complex and interesting character. Publically, he’s charming and lovable, but privately, he’s ruthless. That’s a really interesting combination to me.

I think the show had a really wonderful supporting cast. My personal favorite is probably Cat Grant. I always liked her rivalry with Lois, and I missed her when she left the show.

One of the scenes that really stuck out to me in the Pilot was the scene where Clark flies over Metropolis. Clark Kent flying is not something you usually see in any Superman story, so I guess the fact that the scene was so unique is what I like about it.

The other scene I really enjoyed was the montage of different costumes Clark wore when Martha was designing his costume. It was a nice touch of humor.

Does anybody have any thoughts they want to add?