Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
[b]
In past adaptations of the character, I’ve noticed that Clark never seems to visit his parents after he leaves Smallville, which just doesn’t seem realistic.
Clark visits his parents plenty in Superman the Animated Series. He never visited his parents in Silver Age comics because they were dead. They were still alive in early 90's comics, but I haven't read much after the early 80's to know how often they showed up since then.
I actually bought "Superman: The Animated Series" on DVD recently, and I'm planning to watch it sometime this summer. I haven't seen it in years, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

The versions of the character that I was actually talking about where he never visited his mother is actually "Adventure of Superman" (with George Reeve) and the Christopher Reeve movies. I can give the Reeve movies some leeway since Martha was said to be dead by the third movie, but "Adventures of Superman" lasted six seasons. I don't think his mother is ever even mentioned after the first episode. It's one of the few things about that show that I didn't particularly care for. [/b]
My main gripe about that show was at least in Season 1 they did at least 2 Lois-free episodes, and others where she had no role. I think with Ma Kent they just had that actress for the first episode, and did not have the budget to bring her back ever.

On the Superman the Animated Series issue, it was made after Lois and Clark, so we still have Lois and Clark being the first time we have identified Clark connecting with his parents on a regular basis.

I thought his calling them and visiting them made sense. However starting in season 2 they started coming to Metropolis way too often, and almost never by Superman express. I understand why they did that for story telling purposes, but it did not make sense that farmers from Kansas could afford that many flights to Metropolis.

Oddly enough Martha and Jonathan seem to appear more in the show after Lois knows that CK=SM. However it makes sense, Lois looks to Martha for motherly advice she would never take from her own mother.

One thing that was never addressed in Lois and Clark is, does Lois sew? My gut reaction is "no". It seems too domesticated for her, but maybe. In "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape", Clark goes to Martha to get new super suits after the helicopter destroys his. Still, Lois is just his girlfriend at that point.

I just had a thought.

John Pack Lambert