Originally posted by VirginiaR:
She was totally underutilized in the series, which is why she's playing a larger role in my current story. [Linked Image]
Interesting. Which story is that? I'd like to read it.

I don't know if Lex ever tried to romance Lois in the comic canon, but that was a new take on the Triangle built for two. He really threw a wrench into Clark trying to romance Lois, especially in the pilot, when Clark flies off the handle just because Lois is going to interview Lex.
I agree. Lex's romance with Lois made him even more dangerous, and it was an interesting element of the series.

I do have to disagree with you on this point:
Considering that both “Superman Returns” and “Smallville” were heavily influenced by the Christopher Reeve films, I think “Lois and Clark” deserves a lot of credit for doing its own thing.
Smallville's pilot was unique in the fact that it had the meteor shower which brought Kal-El to Smallville basically destroyed the town, killing and injuring a lot of people. Sure, there was that whole picking up the truck homage, which I could have lived without. I liked how Kal-El's arrival influenced everyone's life around him, including Lana's and Lex's, even before they met. I also liked the friendship that grew up between Lex and Clark. It made Lex's transformation to evil, even more sinister.
This is true. Overall, I think "Smallville" did a lot of original things and wasn't just a copy of the movies. I do think that it took more from the movies than "Lois and Clark" did, though.

Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
[qb] I became hooked on the show when Clark said, "You like to be on top. Got it." And the irony is that I don't usually enjoy double entendres. But this one was so well done that I couldn't help but like it. The setup for it was brilliant.
That was another good scene. I forgot about that one.

Originally posted by Sue S.:
[QB] The writing that first season and into the second season was fabulous. There was banter and an understated sexual chemistry that the show lost when Deborah Joy Levine left. I loved the costuming with its nods to the 30's and 40's. Some of the plots were terrible, but the characters saved it for me.
I agree. The first season is probably my favorite season of the show.