I think the cool thing about E-ink isn't the writing technology, but the reading. They can make a book using thin computer pages and a memory chip in the spine. When you are finished reading the book, you press a button on the spine and change the book. The pages themselves, with the words on them, switch to the words to another book. So you can carry one book with you onto an airplane, say, and when you finish, switch to the next book. A library in one volume.

As for a handheld, I have a PocketPC. I could theoretically write on it, but it won't connect to my computer. Which means I don't write on it, because if I did, I'd have no way to transfer the file, and I'd have to retype it. Also, I have to hunt-and-peck with the stylus to type (or handwrite, but then what's the point of having a PocketPC? *grin*). But sooner or later I need to take it to Best Buy and get it to work (or get a new computer, *sigh*), so when I do that, I'll buy a foldout keyboard so I can type when I visit Annie, Tracey, etc.