Interesting thoughts, Mike. At the very least, you've probably reminded the writers that the WHAM thread exists and maybe we should use it occasionally.

Having said that, I've read plenty of 'evil' LnC stories and only one rape scene. That rape scene was in a story I was betaing for a new writer. The rape scene was so graphic that I strongly suggested she re-write it. She did, but in reading it a second time, I felt just as sick as I had the first time. Rape was central to the story, but it wasn't a story I felt fitted comfortably into the LnC landscape - so much so, that I requested that if the writer ever posted the story, she didn't credit me with having BRed it. To my knowledge, the story was never finished and never posted.

We all know that danger and injury are part of the story of Lois and Clark but just bothered me to see the celebration of the ability to create a well written torture and rape scene which a number of the posts on this thread seem to be celebrating.
I'm glad you shared your concerns, Mike. Perhaps there are more rape and torture scenes than I realise. However, I can't agree with your above statement that anyone was celebrating the ability to write truly gruesome detail.

In this thread, I'm not sure that 'evil' really translates to rape/torture. I've been called 'evil' by some of my closest friends on these boards - I take it as a compliment because I don't think 'evil' actually means anything other than the ability to engage readers in a story that might have some drama/angst. A cliff-hanger can be 'evil' because the reader really, really wants to read the next chapter.

Boy I did not mean to make this such a long post but I tried to craft the response to hopefully better state my position without p*ssing off a bunch of really good writers and people.
I can't speak for other writers, but I've enjoyed receiving your FDK for my stories and I was interested in what you had to say here. Even though I don't agree on the 'celebrate' bit, it's always good to be reminded that when we post a story, we're inviting people into a scenario we created and we need to be mindful that readers mostly come here for enjoyment.

Corrina.

One more thing ... Virginia said ...

Any way it's spelled, Corinna, you qualify as an Evil Writer (Female Hawk literally tortures Clark in Trusting Me, Trusting You ). Honey, you're OVERQUALIFIED.
I know it was a light-hearted comment, V - one that made me smile, but there is no direct torture in TMTY - it's hinted at and the consequences are definitely there for all to see, but it's a story of healing not abuse, love not hate, forgiveness not brutality. smile