Originally posted by Mike M:
He puts on his asbestos long johns...

I guess I am in the minority here but I just saw a post by Drew Magary in the GQ Mag site( Drew Magary ) which just about covered my view on rape scenes it is talking about Game of Thrones but it applies here sometimes.

1. Rape scenes. I keep waiting for an All-Rape episode of Game of Thrones in which no rape is left unseen: baby dragon tail rape, a corpse raping a live person, a man raping another man while being raped himself, etc. Rape is an awful crime that occurs far too often in this world, yet screenwriters and showrunners happily deploy it anytime they need to artificially ramp up the drama. I have never watched a rape scene and come away from it feeling entertained or enlightened, and I’m among the more immature human beings you’ll ever meet. I’m never like F*CK YEAH THAT RAPE SCENE OWNED. I come away from them feeling like absolute **** : about the world, about my fellow man, about the show I’m watching…. Art is art and you can do anything you like with it, but if you told me I never had to sit through a surprise rape scene ever again, I’d be more than happy. Consider replacing your rape scene with a basket full of adorable puppies in the future, fantasy authors.
I did obfuscate the curse word there. I do find it odd the people that don't like to see cursing in the stories have no problem with rape and torture. I can certainly see that sometimes the torture and rape is paramount to the story but in general I don't like it and try not read it.

But as I said in the opening, I am probably in the minority here...

Mike
I might be in the vast minority here, but my tolerate for rape scenes depends entirely on he story. If it's just in there for shock value, I have zero tolerance for it. But, if the story depends on a rape scene, then I have a lot more tolerance for it.

For example, in my NFic, Broken, Clark was raped repeatedly while in a foster home (I didn't show it happening, but I did have him tell Lois about his experiences) and it left him "broken" as in unable to perform, sexually, once he's dating Lois.

The Game of Thrones scene in question was icky, I'll admit. But I never got the feeling that it was completely consensual in books either. (I read it about a year ago while trying to also devour birth/pregnancy books, so things got a little jumbled in my mind.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon