Lois shifted her position on Clark’s lap
Clark:Not quite as good as when she was on my lap when I made her pasta.

to glance over their shoulders back at Remy, the woman with the gun, who had tied them up like a pretzel.
Clark:Well, obviously Remy is not all bad.

“We need to negotiate,” Lois whispered ever so faintly into Clark’s ear.
grumble grumble

Personally, Clark felt like ‘the man of melted steel' for all the lack of action that he was currently capable of.
grumble grumble at Wells and his false talk of curse. Oh wait, is that not what Clark meant by "lack of action"?

“Superman leaves negotiating to the professionals, Lois,” Clark said softly.
Lois:I'm professional.

“Let’s just say, I’m not such a big fan since my arrest,” Lois grumbled.
Clark:Well, Lois, being accessory to Superman working with the terrorists might be seen as grounds of having violated your parole.

Clark figured there was more to it than that, but he’d ask her about it later.
I wish I really believed they would get a chance to actually talk.

“Guaranteed safe passage out of here. Plus, he can open that vault with one punch of his fist,” Lois said.
But why would he want to do either of those? And how would he be anything other than a criminal if he did?

“No,” Clark replied at the same time Lois said, “Yes.”
Clark:And which one of us knows Superman better.

Lois:I do. He really can't say no to me.

“Not even to get a possible dirty nuclear bomb out of Metropolis and save all of our lives?” Lois returned.
Clark:LNN would never spin it that way.

“Superman’s a smart fellow, I’m sure he could think of a way to help them right into your new girlfriend’s hands,” Lois said.
Clark:And what good would it do for Linda to be in contact with them.

Girlfriend? Clark stared at her.
Oh right, things are over with Linda.

Who is she talking about?
Exactly, who is she talking about.

She rolled her eyes. “Oh, ‘Bill’ isn’t a girl dog?
It's not like his name is Shelby. It should be obvious no one would name a female dog Bill.

“What? No, Lois,” Clark replied
Clark:The only one who sleeps on my bed is you.

with disbelief before another thought came to mind. “Is that supposed to be some crack about me being a Kansas farm kid?”
No, those type of insults are normally saved for people from Montana. Kansas is much too populous for that.

Lois batted her eyelashes innocently. “I have no idea why you would come to that conclusion, Clark, but if the shoe fits…”
She does have strong anti-rural prejudices.

“Why would he give them to his dog?” Jimbo asked, clearly puzzled.
Jimmy:You have not seen his dog yet.

“Why would they believe you?” Luthor asked. “You all are news reporters.
Clark:Hah, I knew he paid no attention to Jimbo at the "Magic of the Night" Ball.

“Lois, it isn’t going to work. Just give it up,” Clark said.
He is right.

“Superman can hypnotize us to make us forget,” Lois announced.
Superman II Lois:Thankfully for you, not in your universe.

The others merely stared at her in shock.
Clark:Lois, don't even put such awful ideas in people's heads.

“What do you mean ‘hypnotize us’?” Perry asked, glancing nervously at Clark as if he had been holding out on him.
Lois:And Perry thought I wasn't saying that I knew out of meanness. I just have not been ready for 48-hour amnesia.

“How do you know? It could be,”
Clark:No more than anyone else's.

“We could tell them it is.
Clark:That will just spread fear of Superman.

Clark and I are known Superman experts, right?
Clark:I got the first exclusive.

We’ve interviewed him dozens of times apiece. They wouldn’t know any better.
They'll demand proof from someone they trust.

If Superman’s talented brain moves as fast as he does, he might well have other abilities he hasn’t advertised,
Like how he was able to survive the trip to space that Luthor engineered to kill him.

and that we could be holding secret for him. Hell, he might even be telepathic.”
Clark:No, then I would know you know.

Clark groaned. She was making a bad situation worse. “Lois…No.”
He should just tell her so she stops embarrassing him.

“Honey, you’re beginning to sound like Bureau 39,” Perry warned.
He does have a good point.

“Okay, okay. What if we said that Superman could only hypnotize people when their mind was completely occupied elsewhere and… and… he was touching them, physically?”
Deep kissing might fit the bill. Although maybe it would have to be more than that.

but his arms were already crossed over Lois’s belly.
Thus protecting their child. peep

“I don’t know, Jimbo,” Lois responded.
Jimmy:Yes she does, she just knows we would all object.

“Yes, he would, so others wouldn’t think he could do this at any time.”
This would never work. A-Superman would never agree to it. B-How would they do Superman touches Clark. C-How would they even do the negotiate with Superman thing with her on his lap?

“It couldn’t be regular ‘touching’, could it?” Jimbo said. “Because otherwise no one would want him to rescue them, right?”
Jimbo has a really good point. Actually not only not just regular toching, but not anything less than super intimate touching.

“’Cause it sounds as if you’re suggesting we tell the terrorists that Superman can hypnotize people by kissing them,” Jimbo said,
Jimmy:Actually, my idea was worse.

Clark dropped his head onto Lois’s shoulder.
Yeah, more touching. Although this seems more like wallbash

He couldn’t believe that they were discussing this, and in front of Lex Luthor no less. He could just picture what LNN’s next big story would be.
LNN report:Superman has developed a new date-rape technique. Police have now included him as a suspect in all unexplained rapes over the last year.

“What?” Lois shook her head. “No. I’m not suggesting that.”
What exactly was she suggesting? Anything less would undermine his rescues.

“Count me in,” Clark said. “I’d rather die too.”
Lois:But you sleep with him all the time.

“Fine,” Lois harrumphed, crossing her and Clark’s arms tighter around her chest.
Clark must really like this.

“I was just spitballing ideas, trying to come up with a plan to get us out of here alive, but if you’d guys would rather die than seriously discuss...”
Clark:Seriously discuss. We are talking about lying about Superman's abilities in ways that if talked about will make everyone afraid of him.

Clark heard another gunshot and a scream of pain,
Cat got shot?

“Take me instead,” Clark insisted, standing up.
She would at a minimum take him and Lois.

John Pack Lambert