He could say "I need to go try and figure out what shenanigans are going on at the Star", and downplay Linda King entirely.
CLARK: But she *knows* I love only her.
Lois:It doesn't feel that way right now.

He should never have stayed at the Majic of the Night Ball.
CLARK: I was having a guy's night with the Jimmys.
It still was a dumb move, and has caused him nothing but problems.

Please no Scardino.
cool
I am half surprised Miranda's drugs did not draw him out.

or even an accountant.
JOHN: Although he would not be literally worried for Lois's safety in these other cases, so his reactions might be less severe.
Actually, this was a backhanded reference to Love and Capes where the hero's real life identity is an accountant. laugh
The accountant part did cause me to think of Love and Capes, so I guess your reference was transparent enough.

Is this the party that Clark took Lois to in canon?
Yes.
frown that he did not bring Lois. Now he is really being wrong Clark, first he spends most of the "Majic of the Night Ball" without Lois (which in canon he spent entirely with Lois), and now fails to bring Lois to the Journalism party. frown

He maybe should make sure no one is stalking him before he flies off.
CLARK: I can fly really fast.
I was more thinking he did not want anyone to see him fly at all.

He was interested in talking with her co-workers about all their terrific scoops lately. A quick perusal of the last several weeks of the Metropolis Star, as Lois had asked Rita to do, had shown him that Linda wasn’t the only reporter at the Star with amazing luck lately.
JOHN: Maybe he should point out to Lois that he is listening to her advice on finding stories.
SUPERMAN: Good advice. I'll tell Clark to tell Lois that the next time they have time to talk.
grumble at SLV. Although to be fair Clark only decides to tell the truth when realizing that it is the only course that will avoid war. That seems more to be an example of internalizing blame.

SUPERMAN: I don't date.
LOIS: You're rushing off to meet Linda King fast enough.
SUPERMAN: Huh, what? No, *I* don't date, Lois. That's Clark who is meeting with Linda.
LOIS: Oh, so you're on a first name basis with the skank?
SUPERMAN: No, I mean. Oh, forget it, you win. I'm Clark.
LOIS: Duh!
grumble at her stupid investigation.

As long as Clark is not there, things should go good.
CLARK: Why would I go?
He was an accessory to her crime. Maybe he would go to give her moral support.

John Pack Lambert