“Here goes nothing,” he said, nudging the armoire again. It slid forward about an inch.
hyper He will recover and save the world.

“A bunker?” Lois said. Why didn’t that surprise her? Didn’t every multi-billionaire have one?
Does Bruce Wayne?

unless of course he meant that the four of them and a hundred and ninety-six of their buddies would be locked in his bunker for the next three years leaving Lois, Clark, and the rest of world to live in peace. Superman, of course, would have saved Earth.
Somehow I expect Luthor to have ways of telling there is not impact and coming back to the surface afterward. I wish he didn't but I figure he probably does.

Lex said, as if the rest of the population of Earth were a mere afterthought.
I have to say i don't get how Lois accepted marrying him after this interchange in canon. Even if there were a few months in between.

On a totally unrelated note, have we reached a point where we are further into the year than the story is?

It was just like Lex to decorate his bunker like his penthouse with big urns and antiques. Very practical.
Is she being sarcastic here? At first read I was totally lost by that observation, but now I think I see the sarcasm. I am not good at detecting sarcasm.

He didn’t understand how to survive by scratching out an existence with his bare hands.
This is why he built it at the level of 200 people, so he could still have a porper number of minions.

“The larger one would have missed Earth completely. So, yes, I do,” Lex said.
I hope Lois stores the fact that Luthor suspects this in her mind to better evaluate his actions later.

If Superman had taken a minute to get a second opinion, he might still be around to do this planet some good,”
He was operating with 3 people. It made sense to assume that the team of Daitch, Zeitlin and Cosgrove had gotten multiple opinions. Luthors lines here don't really add up.

Why had Daitch’s numbers changed but Lex’s hadn’t?
Because Luthor messed with Daitch's numbers.

“There wasn’t time. By the time I learned what EPRAD had convinced Superman to do, he had already left on his mission,” Lex said with a shrug.
I hope Lois does not buy this line. Especially since the claim of an indending impact was made public hours before Daitch even asked Superman to intervene.

She knew this to be true, because right now, she was having difficulty controlling her desire to punch Lex.
clap

to be my special guest on mankind’s next great adventure,”
Is this line from canon. Hmm. I am surprsied she was not more creeped out there.

Lex closed the gap between them. “Because I care,” he said, and she could see it in his eyes that he did care. “And, I must admit, three years will be a long time without… companionship.”
Oh yeah, he is creepy. I am also not convinced he really answered her question either. He seems to be more close to answering "why a young, nubile female" without anything indicating Lois in particular.

She could be naïve and assume he meant ‘friend’ but that would be just plain stupid.
It would only work if he was bringing lots fewer people, and even then, I don't think so.

They weren’t friends.
clap Although I don't think Luthor really likes her at all. He is obsessed with the idea of owning her, but has no feeling for her as a real person.

The third richest man in the world had chosen her out of all the women the world as his companion,
I think that should be "women of the".

On another note, actually she is being naive if she thinks she is the "one" chosen. Somehow despite Luthor's lines I figure he is bringing along other potential "companions".

but there was no way that she would accept.
party She won't accept. OK, I never for a moment thought she would. Not since the voyeur was exposed, and even less so since her reaction to Luthor's invitation for weekly dinner. Actually, probably not since he shot her, and it did not look likely even before that.

She was in love with Clark and,
party

even if she weren’t, she wouldn’t accept.
This makes total sense.

She was beginning to discover what kind of man Lex really was, and trading her personal self-worth for a space in Lex’s ark would make her feel no better than a prostitute.
That would be before Luthor even tried any moves on her.

She would rather risk her survival in the outside world, thank you very much.
This makes a lot of sense, even without Superman and CK.

Was he asking her to marry him? To be his wife? No, he hadn’t used those words,
Rich guys do not mean marriage unless they say so. OK, there are a few exceptions, the one that comes to mind the fastest is the truly fun 1930s film "Car of Dreams", but there at least the rich guy has the excuse that he is posing as a not rich guy, and even at that he still gets slapped by the girl since she thinks he was trying to make her his mistress.

and he had on more than one occasion demonstrated to her that he didn't consider their relationship to be an equal one.
Marriage is an acknowledgement of equal footing. Even when it does not include one or both parties agreeing to be sexually exclusive.

Therefore, what did he want from her? A mere bedmate?
That still might not properly catch his views.

A concubine?
In the meaning and sense of the word where it is synonymous with servant or slave most likely.

His prisoner?
That seems to be his main goal.

However, Lex would probably misconstrue her meaning, if she asked him such a question.
He would also probably lie.

He would take anything other than a clear rejection as acceptance.
This is true, except that "a clear rejection" to Lois might not even count as a rejection at all to Luthor.

On the other hand, how would Lex construe her rejection? What would he do?
Good question. Is he confident enough that SM is dead to let risk taking actions that will make it easy to prosecute him if SM somehow did actually survive and stops the astroid?

“Well, I… uh… I don’t know… I…” she sputtered to come up with something to say as Lex was waiting. She sat down on the hard sofa.
I guess this makes sense. She wants to reject him in a way that will not cause him to fear letting her go.

It was possible that he was so out of touch with people that he didn’t realize how creepy this was.
At some level this has to be it. Well sort of. It seems he figures his suave exterior makes it so he can hide any internal oddity.

She went into the kitchen and opened a drawer. There was pot she had thrown out last November after trying to cook some homemade cranberry jelly to go with her microwave Thanksgiving dinner. It had been easier to throw it away than try to clean it.
Should this not seem really odd to her, its not like Luthor ever came in her kitchen.

John Pack Lambert