Christina: Thanks for the long FDK! hyper

C'mon Clark, you don't think Luthor wouldn't do this???
Of course, he does, but he doesn't want to automatically assume it's Luthor without proof, only to find out later he missed the real culpret.

Ah, I guess there IS one more possibility after all.
Well... um... it *is* Lois.

Um, actually wouldn't that be a pretty big hint that something's amiss? Luthor's bound to be wondering why he would lie about this.
If he heard it. Clark whispered this into Lois's ear...

“Lucy’s right outside the door,” he murmured into her ear, by way of an excuse. “Superman stopped by while you were in the bathroom.”
Lex's bugs can't pick up everything. To Lex, it just looks like he's nuzzling Lois's ear / neck.

Wait... what??? Are they dream sharing??? *musing for a moment* I wonder if that's a unique characteristic to Kryptonians in general or just a soulmate.
I was thinking more of one person in particular projecting his dreams onto another unsuspecting person, while she lay sleeping. The scene was originally written from Clark's POV, so I thought he deserved to be hit over the head with the lunkheadness of this dream too. evil

Apparently he's not privy to the underlying thoughts and feelings on her side, however.
Okay, he's projecting the scenario and his reactions, and she's supplying her own, which he takes back to his sleeping brain.

So, you're right. Dream sharing.

*sporfle* Now why do I get the feeling that was used at one time in the Silver Ages? (FTR, I don't know if it was or not because I only have a handful that date to the Silver and not Bronze Ages.)
Dream sharing, or Clark saying he does a great "Superman impersonation"? And here all Lois was going to say was: "...it sounded just like you were… telling me that you loved me." What Clark heard: "... it sounded just like you were… Superman." Hee-hee. That's what he gets for interrupting her.

*snort* I can just imagine the internal back and forth like that. So very Clark/Superman. It's that sort of thing that some people say he has some sort of multiple personality disorder (which I'm sure Dr. Friskin would have attempted to uncover if she had known that Superman was also Clark.
Clark has LOTS of issues Dr. Friskin could help with.

And I'm sure this is where that soft touch is going to come in handy.
Well, they all can't act like Lois.

Ah, the notes that will help build an investigation and (hopefully) take down the House of Luthor.
This Clark's not a wait until Lois is at the alter before trying to capture the bad guy, type of hero.

Thaat's right, put the blame where it should go, not on Bureau 39.
Still a good guess, if you ask me.

Not even wanting to think a bad word against anyone. That's the Clark we all love so well.
I thought you'd appreciate that when I re-read it before posting. wink

I'd hate being right when you have something confirmed like this, too.
Ignorance is bliss for a reason.

And this is an excellent reason for not telling Lois.
Phew.

When your mind's sputtering into the gutter of course you have been!
Sure. Sure. Let's not blame Lois for the gutter treatment. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.