“I pretended that you were him when I kissed you. I know I got a little carried away, and I apologize for that, but it was just a diversion, so Trask wouldn’t know the truth,” she explained with a shrug.

She had pretended that he was Superman? His hands formed fists, so that he wouldn’t take off into the clouds just to spite her. He needed this secret identity, and if he was ever going to blow it, it wouldn’t be outside the Bureau 39 stronghold. “No, Lois, I can’t do this.”
“Do what?” she said with confusion. “If it’s okay with Superman, I don’t see why not? You’ll get to be my partner in public, him in private. Perfect really. You’ll get all the top stories being my partner, and we’ll get cover. Don’t tell me you’re going to get a little pissy over holding my hand and a few light kisses for show. I promise I won’t be making out with you in the bullpen. That was a one-time only event.”
Uh huh. Let's just wait to see if a makeout session is actually part of the pheromone effect now, shall we? I think she's going to be eating these words.

Also, what man (outside of a gay one that's not planning on coming out of the closet anytime soon) would even consider the sort of arrangement she's suggesting an acceptable one? I can't imagine one and yes, that doesinclude Clark. How could she even consider that an option?

The excitement drained out of her and she crossed her arms with disappointment. “But… but… Superman’s…” She glanced at Clark in torment. He could see that she felt almost as badly about Superman’s missing spacecraft as he did, and his indignation softened; it didn’t dissipate, but it shrunk somewhat. She really did love him… Superman him, at least. Unable to resist, he put a reassuring arm around her shoulder.
It's too bad he's so adamant about Lois falling for Clark because these sorts of feelings support the Superman part of a Clark/Lois/Superman triangle of two.

“Lois,” Clark said, once they were gone. He needed to tell her he wasn’t going to be her cover story for her romance with Superman.

“Do you realize what we lost here, Clark?” she asked, resting her head against his chest.

His arms automatically went around her. “Yeah, I do.” How could he tell her he didn’t want to play her fake boyfriend, when all he wanted was to hold her in his arms?
Of course in some ways, accepting the option of being the public part of the public/private arrangement would truly activate the triangle of two. We only saw glimpses of it and only in season three/four but never this early.

She could see that the sadness in his eyes had turned to pain as if her words of love had stabbed him somehow. “I wish I could, Lois, but under the circumstances, I don’t see how I can.”

He turned towards the windows to leave and Lois set her hand on his arm again. “What circumstances, Superman? Please, tell me. I’ll do anything. I can’t live without you.”
YES!!! She's calling his bluff!

“Because no one will try to kill you if you were with Kent!” he said loudly, speaking over her apology as he started to pace. “And you also wouldn’t be tempted to jump from a plane, knowing that I would drop anything to come to your rescue. What if I had been on the other side of the world, Lois, helping with a natural disaster? What if I hadn’t heard you calling for me to help you because you had done something daring, thinking I’d always be there to save you? What if I found out too late, that your last words were my name on your lips, asking me to help, but I wasn’t there? Do you think I could live knowing that? With someone like Kent, you could live a full life without men threatening you, kidnapping you, and trying to kill you, as they would because of me. His love for you wouldn’t endanger you like mine does!”

Lois stepped up to him and set her hand on his arm, and asked softly, “You love me?”
Whoops, not quite the way you wanted to say that, right, Superman?

She gulped, dropping to her knees as he floated into the air. “No, please, we’ll find a way. Clark! Clark said he’d pretend to be my boyfriend so that nobody would ever know about us. He’s willing to do that to protect the two of us.”

Superman looked down at her sadly, dejectedly. “No, he didn’t, Lois, nor would I ever ask him to.” He turned and flew out of the window, taking her heart with him.
Good. Sorry Lois, but your suggestion would be even crueler to Clark had he actually BEEN a different person than the person behind the suit so it would stand to reason he wouldn't let her do that even if it's the same person in the end. With that said, the very reason he spoke it out loud will come back and bite him should she ever figure out his real identity.

“How dare you!” she screamed, barging into his apartment and marching into his living room.
“How could you tell Superman about our kiss? Now he thinks we’re some kind of item, that you’ve enacted the guy code or something, and he can’t date me because you called first dibs!” Lois hollered.
*snort* How in the heck did she come up with that? I mean she's the one that came up with that convoluted idea of Clark being her cover bf.

Waaaaiiiiiiit a minuuuuuuuute. Chuck. Cover boyfriend.

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol
How did I not see realize this sooner???

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)