Huzzah! More feedback! hyper

Laura - Putty in my hands, eh? <looks over at the growing pile of laundry> wink I suppose, though, with small children you already have limited time on your hands. smile
I love where you are going with this story. Having a legit conversation about the proposal--not how it just blurted into a fact on the show.

That has irritated me all these years. I've always wondered what might have happened if they had talked about it instead of having it blurted out.

Clark walking that line--of being The Best Friend...and knowing that as much as it hurts to be there for Lois (and how insanely frustrating it is: -- Our Poor Clark ) he has to be the person.

Yeah, and the little piece of me that likes to imagine Clark yearning for Lois couldn't resist having him be her sounding board. Truthfully, though, I think it's exactly what we were given on the show. By the end of the first season she really did look upon him as a close friend, and she also was starting to recognize the attraction between them.

What a sneaky way for Lex to pry the two of them apart! Dissolve the partnership to quote-on-quote work to each of their strengths...give Clark THE story, the type of story he'd love to report. Love it!

Thanks! I figured Lex is exactly that conniving.

Brenda - Hey, stranger! How wonderful to have you here! hyper I've missed you!
Of course, given their communication issues on the show, this was totally out of character.

rotflol lol rotflol

I also loved that the conversation already has Lois rethinking Luthor's motives.

I hated how, on the show, she just blindly accepted that Lex couldn't possibly be up to anything. Sure, you don't want to think your almost-fiance is a sociopath, but someone with Lois' supposed instincts should have at least questioned if Clark might possibly be on to something. In the end, I have her waffle back and forth for a bit, just because I think that would be human nature to not want to believe it.

And here we have one of the fundamental differences in Lois and Clark's characters - how their parental influences affected their outlooks on marriage. Clark see's Martha and Jonathan in a respectful, friendly, trusting, loving relationship and can't see a marriage working any other way. Lois didn't get that and so she can't see those qualities as a "real" motivation for marriage.

I'd say it's more like she doesn't automatically go there, but she certainly realizes deep down that friendship is the key to any kind of marriage. Or it should be. She was on the defensive when she was arguing with Clark about it. wink

I love how Lois somehow got a confession of love from Clark without even trying. That was a funny exchange.

Thanks! She wasn't really trying -- she meant that to be an illustrative question for herself, not for Clark. Now that she knows, though, it's going to drive her crazy until she can get him to talk.

I was with Morgana on my suspicions of Lex and the muscle letting Clark make it to his prime interview appointment. So glad to have the reassurance that Clark is not on Luthor's hit list ... yet.

Lex is much too smooth and subtle to kill him outright. eek

cuidadora - Hi! wave I'm so glad you're enjoying the story.
I just hope Owen doesn't travel all the way to Miami, or send Clark elsewhere. Clark's self-control here is amazing. Most adults would chafe at being treated like a child, let alone the silent threat by the giant Owen.

Nope, Owen only makes sure Clark gets on the plane (and probably waited to see it take off). It would be extremely frustrating to be treated like a child, but Clark has the comfort of knowing that he can zoom back to Metropolis in just a few minutes.

Thank you for the comments! My thanks to everyone who's chimed in so far. sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis