Yes! Sue S. is back!!! wave

Lois Lane was lost in thought as she poured a cup of coffee. She very nearly overfilled the mug in her distracted state, but stopped at the last second. As she took a sip to keep the contents from sloshing, she watched her partner dump an unseemly amount of sugar into his coffee. Not for the first time, she envied Clark's apparent ability to eat anything he wanted without gaining weight.

If Lois is distracted there is usually a very good reason for it. Urgh! Clark, three packets of sugar are more than enough! Why is it men can pretty much eat whatever they want and not pay the price for it? whinging

Lois hesitated again. She didn't have any close girlfriends, and lately Lucy was too flaky to be a true confidant. The only person in the world that she felt even remotely comfortable talking to about something this personal and momentous was Clark.

What a sad state of affairs, Lois should have at least one female confidante. Its a real pity Lucy hasn't grown up yet.

"I know I don't seem like the type of woman that this would happen to, but…" Lois paused for a deep breath before continuing, "I've never had anyone actually ask me to be his wife."

Clark's eyes went wide. "Luthor?"

Lois nodded. "Yes. Last night."

"And…" Clark leaned a little closer, and his voice had become hushed as he asked, "What did you say?"

"I told him that I'd have to think about it."

Of course there is more to the conversation, but for me, this sets the tone and texture of the story. Nicely written.

Luthor gestured at Lois, then swung his hand in a vaguely dismissive motion at Clark as he said, "The two of you have been a fairly productive team, but I think making you partners has sold you both short. Clark's strengths clearly lie in human interest pieces. We're going to begin a series concentrating on voices from outside Metropolis, covered exclusively by Mr. Kent here."

Voices from outside of Metropolis? on the surface it sounds like a great concept, but wouldn't it be better to start the series someplace closer to home? I guess Luthor wants Clark as far from Lois as possible. This way he knocks out another leg in her personal support system. Clever, without being ruthless - so far.

"Uh, well, I guess you'll need a ride to the airport--" she started to offer.

"It's already been taken care of, my dear." Luthor put his arm around Lois, insinuating himself neatly between the former partners. Luthor's hulk of a bodyguard moved to stand on the other side of Clark. "Owen will take Clark home to pack, and then to the airport. Besides, darling, we have a date tonight, remember?"

Lois blinked. "Oh… right."

Clark saw Perry's mouth narrow in anger at Owen's unspoken menace, but Lois still appeared dazed. Causing a scene wasn't going to accomplish anything, so Clark looked Lois in the eye and promised, "I'll call you later."

With Owen as Clark's shadow, why do I get the impression that he won't make it to the airport?

Brilliant beginning!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.