Hey there. So happy to see a new story from you when I wandered in here today.

Most of my favorite parts have already been quoted, but I also loved the "real" conversation they had about Lois' proposal. Of course, given their communication issues on the show, this was totally out of character. wink

I especially liked Lois' answer to Clark's question:

"Do you love him?"

Lois gave another shrug and picked at the edge of her desk with her thumbnail. She'd expected this question, but Clark's expression seemed a lot more solemn than she had imagined it would be. In fact, his gaze was so intense that Lois had to look away.

So real. We don't need Clark's thoughts here. His expression tells us everything we need to know. It tells Lois, too. I'm sure she'll remember this look later when everything is falling apart.

I also loved that the conversation already has Lois rethinking Luthor's motives.

"That was the weird part. I told him that I didn't really know him, and he said all I needed to know was that he loved me." Lois leaned forward and dropped her voice. "Honestly, that kind of bothered me. It's like he doesn't even know me if he thinks I'd accept that as an answer."

Good for Lois. Clark's emotional availability is paying off here. Lois is acting like her usual, questioning self.

Also, this...

Lois sat up straighter in indignation. "Successful marriages have been based on a lot less!"

Clark shook his head. "Successful marriages are based on a lot more."

And here we have one of the fundamental differences in Lois and Clark's characters - how their parental influences affected their outlooks on marriage. Clark see's Martha and Jonathan in a respectful, friendly, trusting, loving relationship and can't see a marriage working any other way. Lois didn't get that and so she can't see those qualities as a "real" motivation for marriage.

I love how Lois somehow got a confession of love from Clark without even trying. That was a funny exchange. I'm wondering if Clark will eventually fess up or if Lois is going to put all the clues together. Can't wait to find out.

I was with Morgana on my suspicions of Lex and the muscle letting Clark make it to his prime interview appointment. So glad to have the reassurance that Clark is not on Luthor's hit list ... yet.

I'm also with LMA. I found the story late, so yay, me. I get to go straight to part 2.

Woot!