the Narnia books (although, as an adult, I was a little taken aback at just how *blatant* the Christian allegories were)
LOL, Hazel, I found this interesting because I still remember the 'huh?' moment I had many years later when the Christian connection in the Narnia novels was pointed out to me. Until then (and I was twenty-something by that point) it had passed me by entirely. goofy

Eddings' Belgariad (although not the other books)
I found this interesting too because although I adore the Belgariad and (having re-read it recently and decided I'd been a little harsh on it) enjoy the Mallorean, although I didn't think it was as good, I've tried and tried and simply cannot get into the other series/novels.

I know that there was something I heard vaguely that it was actually Eddings' wife, Leigh, who had written The Belgariad and I've often wondered if this was true and that David Eddings wrote the others and that's why I find one series so enthralling and the others leave me cold. Anyone else know anything about the story behind this? Was it just a rumour or was it confirmed at some point by his publisher? Memory tells me it was confirmed, but I wasn't paying too much attention at the time, I have to say.

LabRat (who also thought that Belgarath the Sorcerer was an annoying way to get more cash out of a story already told...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers