Tom Welling is not nearly as handsome? (imo)
I think Tom Welling is very handsome but the show doesn't play to his looks the way L&C did with Dean Cain's. Actually, I think the makeup/wardrobe department of Smallville is little nutty - I swear I tune in sometimes and no one on that show looks good! The hair, the makeup, the bizarre clothing choices - oy.

The fact they were made for each other and that they're soul mates. If Clark is in love with Lana Lang that twists everything.
Why? It's Lois& Clark canon that he dated Lana and perhaps thought he loved her at the time.

Okay, I know Dean Cain is 1/4 Japanese but it's not that visible (to me, anyway). Lana Lang really looks Chinese! The whole idea is that they were both born and raised in Smallville, which would mean they are probably not Asian.
This is a matter of perception. I could tell that both Dean Cain and Kristin Kreuk were part Asian the first time I looked at them. Some people could tell Dean was Asian right away but not KK. People see different things.

As for Smallville, it's pretty obvious that it's not your average small town. It's pretty large and was a tourist spot due to the meteors as well as the fact that it's close proximity to Metropolis almost makes it a suburb. It's not unreasonable to think it would have a higher ratio of minorities than your average small town.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.