I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses, too. smile I'm editing right now, not writing, but the writuals are similar.

Where are you? In the comfy swivel glider in front of my desktop in the living room. I live in that chair in front of the computer when I'm home.

What are you writing with? My desktop. I can pull the keyboard onto my lap and lean back in my chair, which is much more comfortable for writing. I used to use a laptop, but my last one died 7 months ago, and I'm not going to get a new one since I hardly took it anywhere. Besides, I have a Pocket PC with a full-size, folding keyboard that I can carry in my purse, so it's much more portable when I want to work away from my desk.

What's the oddest object in front of you? Um, the top of my desk is a catchall since the keyboard has its own shelf. Right now, I'm torn between the dental floss, spare pair of sunglasses, and the Compassion International sponsorship package.

What are you listening to? Nothing. I cannot listen to music with lyrics. Even if it's an instrumental version, I start singing the words myself, and I can't write when other words are pounding in my head. However, when my husband is home, the TV, which sits behind me, is always on to Speed, Food Network, or the Western channel, but I'm not actually listening to it.

Is there anyone else in the room? Not usually. My husband and I work alternating shifts, so I can be alone during the week either before I go to work or after he's in bed. On weekends, though, we both share the room as we have for all the years I've been writing, and I usually get almost as much work done then as any other time.

What time of day is it? Normally, it is either before noon, before I have to go to work, or after 9:30 pm, after I get off work.

What do you look at when you're looking for inspiration? Previous pages of the manuscript, my notes, or L&C scripts that are appropriate (i.e. I went through all the Tempus eps when I was working on Without a Trace). If I'm totally stuck, I'll read other fanfics dealing with whatever has me stuck to see if anything triggers an idea. If I'm just stuck on wording, I set the timer for 5 or 10 minutes and start free writing. Something always breaks loose.

What is guaranteed to remove your concentration? Almost anything. I've almost learned to tune out my husband's TV shows because I can focus deeply enough for brief times. When distractions are too great and I have to make a certain number of words (like for NaNoWriMo), I take my Pocket PC and keyboard into the guest room and shut the door.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/