carole,
while we're talking about languages, i realized that i didn't respond to this last time
you're right, that's intolerable!! rotflol

duchien (to my knowledge, there's no such thing as "de le") would not have worked. there's a particular english idiom having to do with men who are descended from female dogs. i suppose i could have gone with dechienne, which would have been less cumbersome but also less accurate or d'unechienne, which would have been more accurate but also more awkward. i thought de la chienne (literally translated: "from the female dog") was the best compromise. [QUOTE]

Seems I've got a problem with the quote signs :p

right again. There's no such 'de le' thing in french. But it was a way to litterally stick and translate the La Chienne into masculine. Because in France, when you add De before the last name, it usually (not always) acknowledge a noble title (like baronness, count, prince, etc). And you can go with very long names lkie: du Fayet de La Tour, Roullée de la Bouille, Duguet de la Tour Du Pin (all fictive names but... see my point). I guess the idiom you're refering to would be 'son of a bitch' something like that. The litteral translation would have been "fils de pute" (much more cumbersome that the one you picked up) wink

[QUOTE]it was an easy enough language for me, but that's probably because i started learning it nursery school (2 years before first grade). at that age, almost any language is easy to learn.
You're right (is it becoming a trade mark of yours)? Though In two years I added 4 new languages to my resume (and I don't find them uneasy to learn). True it's easier when you're young, I guess it has to do with the fear of not being understood by natives... but I might be *wrong* here.

EDIT: sorry. logged in last night to write a response in the other thread, but my comp crashed before i could post. forgot i was still logged in with this nick. oh well.
These things happen. At one time in the fic, I was answering as Cyad. Just before hitting 'add reply' I noticed the "hello Altlois" greeting up there, in the window's left corner and I was like "whoops!"...An no, I'm not babbling or disgressing again!

Carole