LabRat,

As I've already said, you're probably right that the posts weren't ill-intentioned. You're also right that it is, in part, the format. I expected it to be clearer, given the set-up and everything, but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that there were some misunderstandings. If I spoke rashly before, it was because I was upset.

Despite the number of complaints I had (I do hope I wasn't whining too much), I did have a lot of fun with this, especially towards the end.

As for those who disagreed, it will be clearer in a moment, but their comments were "overheard" rather than directed specifically at me. I want to be absolutely clear that I don't blame or hold any grudge against those who spoke. They were only speaking their minds, and they didn't even realise I was there.

I hadn't even meant to mention it here, but combined with the two aforementioned posts, I was pretty sour about the whole thing. That's got better since, mostly due to the positive comments I got shortly thereafter.

Thanks for your comments and peacemaking.

James,

Thanks for your comments. blush I'm glad you enjoyed the ending. I was a bit worried it would seem out of the blue. Thanks for letting me know it worked for you. Also, happy Father's Day. smile

Claire,

I can't claim credit for the format. It's a twist on the brilliant invention of another FOLC (I won't give the name here so as not to ruin the surprise for those who haven't read that story yet). If you haven't already, take a look at "The Clark Letters" on the archive. There's also another one with a different tone archived with the title "The Lex Letters." I think you'll enjoy both of them quite a bit.

I'm sorry that you found the thread too late to participate, but I'm glad you liked the ending.

As for your suggestion, I think I would rather leave things as they are. Stopping here feels right. Besides, I'm not sure it would work as well with a relationship. Thanks for the idea, though.

Kathy, Pam, Carole, and Anna:

Thank you for your posts in the main thread. I'm glad you liked the idea and the story. However, since my response to your posts would have looked more like a comments response, I decided not to reply again to that thread. I hope you're not disappointed.

I'm glad the ending worked for you.

I'm also glad you liked Sam's invention.

Thanks for writing. smile

FOLCs,

I have one more question.

As mentioned, the previous two stories in this format were ultimately archived. The thread was collected, the format edited to make sense in a text file, and the whole thing uploaded.

The thing is that this time there's a comments thread. I'm not sure what should be included in the archive version (I'm assuming there should be a archive version). I also wanted to check with the people who posted to make sure that they were okay with having their work sent to the archives.

Please respond to this thread with your thoughts and suggestions.

I think that's everything. Only one thing left to do.

*AltClark takes off his glasses...

"Well, what he can't do, it doesn't matter. It's the idea of Superman. Someone to believe in. Someone to build a few hopes around. Whatever he can do, that's enough." - Lois Lane