This is The Late Great Lois Lane by CC Aiken. Great story. Anyone who hasn't read it should do so forthwith!

Next up:

"Look, Clark, I'm honestly not trying to make you mad or anything. I'm just trying to figure out what those government goons were after and why they came to the Daily Planet looking for you and me."

"Like I said, I have no clue." Clark shifted on the bench, unable to pull his gaze away from Lois's face.

Lois pursed her lips and looked thoughtfully at him. Several minutes passed before she said, "Got it!"

"Got what?" he asked nervously. The glint in her eyes made him feel decidedly nervous.

She smiled sweetly at him. "I'll tell you what, Clark. Since I'm such a nice person, I'll let you tell me."

He spread his hands in a gesture of confusion. "Lois, I meant it when I said I have no idea what you are talking about."

"All right, Farmboy. Don't say that I didn't give you the chance to tell me yourself."

"Tell you what?" he persisted.

Rolling her eyes again, she replied, "Tell me why those agents wanted to know what we know about Superman."

lisa in the sky with diamonds