-- Continuation of Response to John's FDK --
We only wish that this was the problem.
Well, her mentioning his Clark name while he's in the suit might be part of the problem, being on how many bugs are currently in her life.

I am not sure why I came back. Things are just getting worse.
I promise it will get better before the end... of the story. Then it might get worse again, but that all depends on your point of view.
CLARK: My POV says it can't get much worse than this.
EW: [Linked Image]

Clark should realize her willingness to do this shows that she has no desire to hurt him. If she wanted to hurt him, and knew what was hurting him, she would just stay.
My guess it's not as easy as it looks to think clearly and logically when one is in that much pain, when one isn't used to feeling pain.

Ouch, that hurts. especially that he assumes she is trying to hurt him.
CLARK: /sputters speechless. Points to her breaking their date at the Magic of the Night Ball. Points to her telling Lex that she loves him. Points to the park./

Oh no, she just made it worse. By saying "I'm sorry" she makes it seem like she hurt him intentionally. She should have asked "what specifically are you talking about." Both of them need to stop assuming.
Most people make general assumptions of understanding when talking with people they know. Otherwise, the glasses would be a terrible disguise.

She is really missing what is up. She should have pressed him more about being hurt.
She doesn't know that he's physically hurt at this point. She still thinks he's mad about her behavior.

She does have a point, but she really needs to figure out why he wants her to stay away.
/points to above reasoning/

True, but I think there is more to it.
Yes, but that's because you know more than she does and have read ahead. wink

Ouch, that hurt even more.
Well, it's true. The Kents still have those Kryptonite samples in the storage cellar of the barn.

What does he think she does the kiss of death?
Wait a minute. I thought my readers wanted Clark to be less of a doormat!

Lois: That would be stupid. It would have put my life in danger.
You mean, Lois 'Live on the Edge' Lane?

How did she avoid seeing this before?
She ignores the ring whenever she wears it and takes it off at night.

This is really, really tough.
Well, I did mention that bad things happen in threes. In my original outline, we would have only had the last month from Clark's POV and wouldn't know why Lois is doing what she's doing.

Good thing Wells is not due for another month, otherwise she might really end up without her Clark.
HERB: Was I supposed to check in with Clark in April or May? /hmmmm./

Had Lex Luthor been responsible for Ed Miner’s disappearance? Could Lois be the key to finding out what happened to his father?
I am guessing the answer to both questions is yes.
LEX: I plead the fifth.

Yeap, Wally is asking for a beating with that comment.
Hence why Perry lets go of Phil. He agrees with you.

True, but the picture can be made to lie. I can think of two examples of this on cover photos to books. In one case, the picture was cut to remove a key person from the picture. In another case the picture was not changed, but the caption claimed some of the people were Nazis, when in fact they were agents of the Weimar Republic. Pictures can lie. There are also ways to remove people from them, and these ways existed long before photo shop.
Exactly. People often say that 'a picture never lies' when often it does. A picture doesn't give context and it can be altered (although, these haven't been).

Many friends would not kiss friends of the same-sex on the mouth either. In fact I think we would be more worried if Clark kissed Jimmy on the mouth, than if he kissed Cat.
JIMMY: I would be.
PHIL: Nah. I'd feel better about this if Clark was known to kiss his guy friends on the mouth as well.
CLARK: Sorry, I'm not planning on starting that tradition just to make you feel better.
JIMMY: Phew.

She really should have thought that through before saying it.
Freudian slip?

Because she admitted to doing something stupid even when it cast a poor light on her.
That seems like a pretty good reason to me.

The bug by Lois's desk. Perry really should have warned everyone.
PERRY: How was I supposed to know it was still operational after Lois left.

It is a hard call. It seems not being married to Owen is a good thing. However it is hard to really say. Although, realistically I think Owen would have continued in his same behavior, so it is probably good.
LEX: And people say I'm not a good guy.

When your best friend's girlfriend had her place under as intensive surveillance as she did last summer, there is no such thing as paranoia.
Why would Lois's stalker bother with Cat?

A minor columnist like Cat is not worth photographing.
CAT: Hey! I'm not a 'minor columnist'.

If Clark ever tried this with Lois, she would storm out of the room before he even tried to lay down the law.
Cat knows that right now there's no reason for Phil to trust her, even though she hasn't done anything untrustworthy.

Now everyone is turning against him.
So, that's a bad thing?

While in theory it is a whorthwhile goal, in practice demanding this does not work.
[Linked Image]

True, but him having her should not exclude any friendship with all others.
Only ones she's admitted kissing before. /my guess, this is a common enough request of people who are still good friends with ex-lovers or rumored to be so... at least, this ultimatum is based very loosely on one I've heard issued before in RL... see below note about my opinion on ultimatums. /

Is this wise to say. Clark's reputation has not really been hurt, only SM's.
Well, those pictures of him and Cat aren't doing him any good. Plus, it's rumored that he's madly in love with Luthor's fiancee, almost to the point of stalking her.

If Lois was going to make such a demand, she already would have, so it is not a fair question.
Didn't she? And Clark stood up for Cat. And when he told her to stay away from Luthor, she didn't.
LOIS: That's not true. He didn't tell me to stay away from Lex. He told me to "stay". What do I look like, a dog?
PERRY: /holding up a finger/
LOIS: Don't answer that!

Lois just made herself a Kent.
LOIS: blush um... purely coincidental. I was trying to be subtle. Uh... it... er... doesn't mean anything.

Luckily this time they aimed for SM.
With Lois and her engagement ring there, it really wouldn't have made a difference how Clark was dressed.

So is Lois turning herself into the police.
Det. REED: [Linked Image]
HENDERSON: rotflol
LOIS: :rolleyes:

On the Cat and Clark date the day before, the more I think about it, the more I think Phil has a point.
It wasn't a date. It was too friends sharing a meal. A date is when more is implied or when it is specifically mentioned as such.

However, on the other hand, if that is his real objection, he should just ask Cat to not have lunch with Clark and only Clark again. I am not sure Cat would agree to even that, but it would be a more reasonable request than to stop being his friend in all ways.
If you need to have ultimatums with the person you're engaged to, then why are you marrying them? Clearly, you're in a relationship with someone you don't trust.

Of course if Phil had lead by asking about November, than Cat could have told him it was when he would become a father. However, then this story would not be such an emotional roller coatster. Although I am not sure that would be a bad thing.
Oh, if you're looking for a kiddy coaster or boredom, I'm thinking you've come to the wrong story. (At least, I hope so.)

I guess in theory I would get bored if it was emotionally level, but I am not convinced of that fact.
Someday, I'll try to write a story where everything goes right and if it doesn't bore me, then I'll try posting it. wink

Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Oh, and it was rather presumptuous of Lois to kiss Clark the way she did when they hadn't had any chance to talk yet, given the way they parted and everything that has gone on in the interim.
JOHN: I think you are underestimating how deprived Lois is feeling from being without Clark.
That and she doesn't know everything the Reader does about what Clark's been going through.

Anyway, if it had not been for the kryptonite on the ring, I am totally sure that Clark would have reciprocated Lois's actions.
SUPERMAN: [Linked Image] I cannot confirm or deny hypothetical theories such as this.
CLARK: Yeah, totally!

Looking at it another way, the last time they talked Clark proposed. It seems entirely reasonable for her to kiss him. Plus, she thinks he got her "I love you" message, and the first note.
Yes, Lois thinks Clark knows more about her investigation at this point than he actually does. She doesn't know that he never received that note she delivered after going to Louie's (while she was wearing her Annie Lennox disguise.)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.