Lois wasn’t alone in the back of the car.
Maybe it is Lois who is two-timing Lex.

and Cat might need to make a call to her best friend.
Lois: smile1 at least some people are properly suspicious of Luthor.

This wasn’t the most direct route to the Luthor Conservatory of Music.
And why would they go there is they have ditched Luthor?

The car stopped to the side of the Daily Planet building, and Cat wondered if her initial hunch about the opera date having been broken was right and Lois was returning to the work.
Nah, she is not "returning to work", she is going to meet up with her true-love, Clark, who just happens to be at work. OK, I don't think that, but it would make sense for Cat to think such.

The chauffeur stepped out and walked around to let Lois and someone who looked an awful lot like Lex out of the car.
Theorizing this is Luthor's twin is probably the most likely theory for Cat to come up with at this point. Although maybe he did a switch up the car and come back, but even if that was allowed by the time, it makes no sense.

Had Lex driven the bottle of wine somewhere nearby in the Jaguar, and then doubled back on foot to go to the opera with Lois in the limousine?
Makes no sense at all. Why move the jaguar at all if you will not use it?

She would need figure out a way to discover the truth and she probably had less than five minutes before Lois and whoever accompanied her returned to the limo.
Two points. I think you need to have another to in the sentence. Also, why does Cat assume a short stay at the planet? If it isn't Luthor, then why assume she is going to the opera still at all.

Inside she dropped her helmet and black knit hat inside.
You probably only need one of the uses of inside.

She fished around inside her compartment and pulled out a pair of black wedge high-heels.
I was wondering if Cat would show up at the office, and if she did how that would fit with what had happened so far.

the blonde equivalent of Clark Kent.
He still does not have Superman powers, so my man is better.

He was tall and gorgeous and wore both a sport jacket and glasses, and no wedding ring.
Many married men don't.

The man continued to stare at her chest, and then gulped. “George. George Filmonterton,” he said, shaking her hand.
So that is where George came from.

Clark glanced up from the pile of papers on his desk as the elevator dinged, and Jimbo walked out.
I guess it makes sense to have Jimbo instead of Jack.

Jimbo tagged Jimmy’s arm with his rolled up magazine. “So, I’m guessing movie night’s off?”
This seems much smarter on Clark's part, his doing the taxes in canon when he had promised a movie night seemed a bit rude.

“Hey, listen to this, CK,” Jimbo said, folding over the front half of the magazine to read. “‘Dear Love Fortress International’…”
I guess we do already know that Jimmy likes LFI, but still.

“James,” Clark attempted again.
He is reverting to the old dimension.

“‘There I had the most amazing twenty-four hours of my life.
24 hours, shock

I won’t go into details, beyond saying it wasn’t just a meeting of bodies, but a meeting of souls.
I am shocked Spencer Spencer printed this letter with the main details ignored.

“Mr. Olsen!” Clark repeated louder,
He really has reverted to his other dimension.

“No, wait. Did you say ‘auburn-haired beauty’ and ‘copier’?” Clark asked, rubbing his forehead. That would be too much of a coincidence.
I expected it. Narrative efficiency says this detail has to relate. If you did not have that, this story would be truly unmanageable.

‘Dear Filled in Metropolis...’ I’ve got to say, CK, that’s an awful tag line.”

“‘Filled’ as in ‘Phil’? P-H-I-L?” Clark guessed.
Oh, I thought Spencer Spencer was just going for the potential double entendre with the name.

Jimbo pointed at him. “You know, I bet you’re right. Genius!”
Clark:It helps when you know before hand.

“You can’t stop there, Jimbo.
If it stops Jimbo's reading of LFI, the world might be a better place.

It couldn’t be the same Phil, Cat’s Phil.
Of course it is, otherwise narrative convention would be too heavily destroyed.

she wrecked the machine again, just to have her way with me one more time.
Only once more?

I swear she was insatiable.’ That’s funny. You’d think he was talking about Cat Grant with that description.”
Who else, anywhere?

I read that her office had been sprayed by a love-potion,
Any question that it was the DP is now gone.

and that everyone had gone crazy in love, doing things they normally wouldn’t during the time I made my service call.’ Gee, CK, do you think he’s talking about the Daily Planet?”
Now we know why Phil did not call. party I was right that Cat misinterpreted his family.

should I risk losing out on my soul mate and spending my life alone to keep from ruining my one perfect encounter?
Sounds like a really stupid plan to me. He really does not loose anything if he talks to her again, and the potential gain is worth the embarrassment.

On the other hand, I’ll be moving back to Houston this summer,
So he is going back to NASA. Hmm, is that what happened to Cat?

and if I don’t call, and she feels the same way I do, I may never get a second chance.
See, he really has nothing to lose. If she rejects him, he ends up alone, but he is alone anyway, so there is no real loss.

This should be your next investigation. Find this woman and make a love match! True love wins out! Mr. White would totally go for that story.”
Clark:He didn't even go for such stories with Mr. Olsen on his back trying to get him to. Hard news all the way he would always say.

Clark sighed. Cat had said she was over Phil, but was she really?
She may say she is, but I don't believe her.

Should he butt in and tell her about Phil’s letter to Love Fortress International or keep out of it?
He should tell her. Give people options.

Apparently, Phil wasn’t married after all. It had all been a huge misunderstanding.
I always thought Cat rushed to that conclusion with too little evidence. Family does not have to include a wife, at any age, ever. Among other things, wives die.

“Now, you’re talking! Fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and olives,” Jimmy said, sticking his head out the door.
I have to say I like the sound of that pizza, although I have only rarely had tomatoes on pizza.

“Cuz, if it goes on a salad, it doesn’t belong on a pizza,” Jimbo hollered back. “How about Canadian bacon and pineapple instead?”
Jimmy:I put pineapple and Canadian bacon on my salads.

The elevators dinged again. This time, Clark heard a familiar heartbeat approaching.
What? What? you end here, so actually letting Clark see Lois. frown

John Pack Lambert