Was it Lex’s obvious interest in her, or was it something more nefarious?
I have to admit I think Luthor taking an interest in Lois was the key to Clark being distrustful of him.

She would have to ask Clark about it, when they finally could get together privately to have that long overdue talk.
I want that scene now.

There was nothing outwardly personal on Lex’s desk, no photographs – not that Lex had loved ones anyway.
So he has not told her about any of his children.

Lex:And those would be "loved ones" how?

The sturdy locks on his desk drawers required her lock-picking set, which she hadn’t thought to bring with her. Idiot!
Clark:So much for her claims to be investigating the guy.

As her eyes coasted over his desk again, she noticed that none of the lines on his phone was lit up.
I would think his private and business lines would be separate, so this is not too surprising.

Had he lied to her about the call?
Finally she has a correct thought about Luthor's actions.

Was Mrs. Cox aware of Lex’s illegal activities?
Most likely, he has to have some high-level confederates.

Lois’s hand froze as her heart began to race in fear.
She is remembering her past, horrible life in that place.

Why would Lex want to finance a mental institution?
Is the perfect way to get rid of opponants.

Then again, why would he want to help homeless children?
It is a good front for starting them early as operatives in his criminal enterprise.

Her fingernail stopped at the name Dr. Arianna Carlin.
Hopefully she follows up on this lead.

Again, a wave of recognition washed over her like the foul stench of a paper processing plant.
smile1 she is remembering the past.

Whoever that woman was, Lois didn’t want to have anything to do with her. She pocketed the name into her memory banks and continued.
Finally she is making progress in her investigation.

Wasn’t there a Truesdale on the board of directors at the Daily Planet?
I'm actually somewhat surprised Lois knows this. The Board of Directors is not often a known set of people to employees.

Why would Lex be in contact with someone who controlled the Daily Planet?
To try and take it over of course, why else does he ever contact boards of directors.

Could she and Clark have been wrong? Could the Daily Planet's current financial problems be linked to something other than Preston Carpenter’s unethical news-creating and scooping techniques?
Luthor:Of course they are wrong, I always am two steps ahead of everyone else.

smile1 at the "she and Clark", both with the same set of thoughts line. frown that we did not learn more of the climx of that investigation.

It was locked, but luckily, Lois’s semi up-do came equipped with bobby pins.
Clark:I am glad she doesn't just look pretty for Luthor's enjoyment. I wish I could spend more time with her.

Reader:If you were not such an inconsistent stickler for following rules, you could be spending all your time with her in Smallville.

There, third file in, was a large one on the Daily Planet.
frown that she did not bring her mini-cam to photograph all the documents.

The file contained financial projections on the newspaper, lists of assets versus expenditures, lists of the largest advertisers, some of whom had abandoned the paper over the recent months after years of mutual satisfaction,
You know, the more I think about it, the more this explantion makes more sense than just the Met Star driving things down. Papers rely more on advertiser dollars, and especially before the recent rise of Craig's list, on classifieds. Circulation is more important for getting advertiser dollars than direct money from sales, but a few incidents of getting scooped should not make or break the paper.

personnel lists, a history of the Daily Planet building,
This is getting suspicios.

including a copy a structural analysis and a layout of the different offices and departments,[/Quotes]

Sounds like he already plans to bomb the place.

[Quote]personal information on each of the board members.
I really wish she had that mini-cam.

Why would Lex be researching the Daily Planet so thoroughly?
She underestimates how obsessed with her he is.

She wondered as she returned the file to the cabinet. Two files back, she found a thinner one on the Metropolis Star, which made her feel better.
She should not expect Luthor to make his plans too obvious.

Perhaps he was just researching the competition to LNN.
And I own a bridge in Brooklyn.

She flipped through the file but didn’t see anything near to the detail as in the Daily Planet folder.
Hopefully her suspicions will remain properly heightened. Hopefully they can avoid the bombing here.

Mostly, it was personal background on the Met Star’s newly arrested publisher.
frown that we did not get to actually see that happen.

Other than the obvious answer: the Metropolis Star wasn’t competition for either Luthor News Network or the Daily Planet.
Does it have any credibility now that Lois and Clark have taken it down?

From what Clark and Linda had told her of Preston Carpenter,
I'm still shocked she talked to Linda.

she doubted he would ever sell to Lex Luthor, even from jail, and she knew in the pit of her stomach Lex wasn’t interested in Carpenter’s paper anyway.
smile1 she actually has some sense about her.

Did Lex not route his personal calls through the LexCorp line?
Makes sense, he would not want his office staff to know about his private calls.

What kind of conference call would be ‘personal’ enough to take on his home line though?
A call with one or more of his mistresses.

A quick glance to the clock on the mantel showed that Lex and Nigel had left Lois alone for five minutes.
Luthor has clearly gotten cocky, if he thinks it is safe to leave Lois where she can so easily find his DP investigation folder.

She hadn’t worn her LoLex watch tonight.
grumble grumble

“Asabi will be driving us to the Luthor Conservatory of Music in the Daimler Limousine,”
So much for my theory that Asabi is permanently in the arc, but I am guessing that is where he has mainly been, and even think such was stated earlier.

John Pack Lambert