Very good chapter! I can't wait to see how Clark reacts to seeing Lois for the "first" time. And will Cat try to get her hooks into him like she did in the show? Or will she try to help him remember what his other job is? Will Lois take him home with her or fight with Cat to be his nurse? And will the Kents come to Metropolis to help? (I'd think not on the latter, given that Jerome isn't their son and Jonathan's in a wheelchair. But like Deborah Allen, I've been wrong before!)

KenJ suggested that the red K is the cause of the amnesia. Possible, but I suspect the whack on the head when he porpoised out of the water under the dock didn't help much. He may really have a concussion, and at the very least that's going to confuse him for a while.

John wrote:
The assumption that only criminals would be handcuffed is really narrow minded.
I'm afraid that's not true, John. You pull a man out of the river who won't give you his name but is wearing broken handcuffs and see what conclusions you draw. Who else would he be? Arresting Clark at this point may seem unfair, but until someone identifies him it's the best thing to do, both for the public's safety and for his own well-being.

Now if he were wearing fur-covered cuffs, they'd know to call Cat to come and get him. And this love is what they'd assume under those circumstances.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing