At the end of the night, when everyone else had stumbled off to their beds, Lana had looked him square in the eyes and said, “You’re not like other guys, are you, Clark?”
This is true at hundreds of levels. Only some of them have anything to do with him being from another planet, and being Super.

“What do you mean, Lana?” he had asked nervously, wondering if her anxiety had been because she had discovered his secret.
Oh, Clark, you are so much more "not like other guys" than just your secret. Hopefully Lois will help you see that while you are suffering from Kryptonite poisoning.

“I mean, do you like me like other guys like me?” she asked, clarifying.
help This sounds like a trick question. The proper response is "no, I like you a lot more than any other guy does."

He hadn’t been quite sure what she was driving at, and her subterfuge had made his heart race. “I’m not like those other guys, Lana, but if you mean, do I like you like a man is supposed to like a woman, then yes.”
I still think my idea was a more honest response, but this probably works.

Lana had nodded as if this was an acceptable answer. “Good. If anyone asks, you’re my boyfriend now,” she announced, then turned and left the room.
shock This does not seem to be a very promising way to start a dating relationship.

Clark had been floored. What had she meant by that? He wanted to call out to her or follow her and ask, but he had been afraid that it would have turned that fantasy into a nightmare.
Clark has come a long way from that to the point where he would arrange a way to turn Lois into his date at the Kerths without her pre-approval. Of course, having a woman he had never met before come up to him and kiss him like canon-Lois did was probably a helpful turn of events.

Luckily, none of the men tested this theory.
Yes, could Clark really be that much of the jealous boyfriend type?

Lana came up to him after Thanksgiving break, crossed her arms, and said, “Clark, you’re coming home with me for Christmas holidays. My mother heard that you were the Kent orphan and insisted I invite you. She wants to meet you.”
Hmm, not even that he was Lana's boyfriend. I was at least expecting Lana would say "my mother heard you were my boyfriend, and wanted to meet my boyfriend."

Lana also does not seem to believe in talking things over with people. No wonder Clark told Lois "stay". His experience is people who are dating give commands to each other, and they get listened to.

“She does, Lana?” he had sputtered his reply, not wishing to remind Lana that Mrs. Lang had already met him. He had interviewed her as PTA President for the Smallville High newspaper during their senior year.
Being interviewed by someone is not really meeting them. Also, her mother may have forgotten that, she does not have an eidetic memory and it has been 3 years or so.

“You mentioned me?” That fact itself had amazed him immensely.
Or she heard from Maisie that Lana was dating "the Kent orphan" or something like that.

“Of course, I mentioned you, Clark,” she had said bitterly. “You’re my boyfriend. We’ve been going steady for over a month now.”
I guess Lana did mention him. Still, maybe they should go on real dates, it does not sound like they really have. Parties are all well and good (or not, if they are filled with smashed people), but one-on-one dates might be better.

“Here are the ground rules. You will continue to be your usual unassuming self. You won’t tell anyone here, especially any buddies on the team, about this. You will bring a gift for every member of my family. I’ll supply you with a list. You will refer any questions regarding our relationship for me to answer. You will not embarrass me in any way, shape, or form. You’ll be staying in the guest room, and not in my room,” she told him.
Humm, if he is not "allowed to tell his buddies", I really do not see how she can be so angry at his surprise that she told her mother. Of course this is Lana. Hmm, actually, why does he ever complain about Lois' ability to hold a grudge after what he has put up with with Lana.

“Of course!” he said, flushing. “I wouldn’t dare presume that… that…” Especially since they had never even kissed.
He was more likely wondering if he would have to ask the Irigs if he could stay in their barn over break.

Lana had smiled at his innocent response. “That’s why I like you, Clark. You let me make all the decisions in our relationship.”
Yes, but she might start loving him if he stood up to her for once.

“I’ll supply you with a list,” Lana said. “I’ll buy you a tie, something simple and conservative. Yours are atrocious.”
So Lois really was right that his ties were all wrong.

“It wouldn’t be good to have our first kiss under the mistletoe with your whole family watching, now would it?” he said, feeling more confident than he ever had in her presence. “Especially if we’ve been going steady for a while now.”
Well, at least he is standing up to her a little.

“Saturday is game night, Lana,” Clark reminded her. No matter how much he liked Lana he refused to sacrifice his scholarship for her. “You could always come to the game and watch me play. We could then go out afterwards.”

“That’s acceptable,” she agreed.
That way she does not have to spend nearly as much time talking to him. Clark should be really worried.

Their first date had been successful in the fact that Lana accepted a second date and had kissed him goodnight. He had wished to make this first move, but had given it up in negotiations. It was a nothing of a kiss, really, but it was more of a kiss than the one she had planted on his cheek on prom night. At least, this one was on his mouth. There had been no fireworks
He should have run for the hills, or better yet gone on a long trip to Congo. Maybe transfered to the University of Brazaville and watched to protect American journalists in the area for the next few years.

Dinner was catered.
How do they afford such a thing for Christmas. What type of people cater Christmas?

Mr. and Mrs. Lang were determined to see if Lana’s beau would be a good (or financially successful) match for their daughter.
Or should it say good (that is financially successful)?

That Lana seemed to like him made no difference whatsoever with them. They disliked him from before their re-introduction, since they had forgotten that he had met both of them before, and tried to dissuade him from having any hope of a serious relationship with their daughter.
He wants to be a rabble rousing journalist, not a respectable business owner. Also, he is the son of those Kent radicals who marched for civil rights and who knows what else. I guess in that dimension they were part of the re-earth movement too. Radical, unrespectable types and such.

but he did receive a kiss from her every night before bed and every morning before breakfast.
Very telling that he recieved a kiss from her, as opposed to kissed her. It is clearly shown to be an act of deigning to give him that connection, not a mutal connection like kissing Lois always is.

Truthfully, he would have much rather spent the holidays as a department store Santa again. At least the children had been happy to see him.
Lana really is not living up to her role as his girlfriend.

John Pack Lambert