Clark was frustrated beyond belief at the slow progress they were making, and he was sure it was because of his current lack of powers. Was he a worthless investigator without them?
Yeouch, questioning his own worth as a reporter. whinging

On the other had, it's quite possible he might have just relied on them a little more strongly than in the past. The best way to get past that is to work at being what you are worrying about all the more.

As his gaze lifted to the people in front of them he saw, standing not fifteen feet away, the unmistakable form of Lana Lang. Her blonde hair was swept back off her face, and she was doing something he hadn’t seen Lana do in years. She was laughing with joy. In her arms, she held a baby. Not only that, she held it tenderly, as if she loved the child with all of her heart.
Lana, his Lana had probably found the right person for her in the end after moving on from Clark.

Lana hated children. She hadn’t babysat in high school. Clark had lost count on the number of times Lana had told him that she hated the yelling, the crying, nagging, whining, and the smelly diapers. She hadn’t wanted to be around other people’s children, and most certainly hadn’t wanted any of her own.
It's very possible she had resigned herself to never having children considering his unique differences.

It was one of the reasons that she had given Clark for why she wanted to marry him, because being – whatever it was that he was – he couldn’t possibly be able to father children with her. She had liked that about him.
Double yeouch. That had to hit Clark in the gut pretty hard. I know he wanted a family even if he couldn't father one. That she accepted in part because she wouldn't have to deal with children had to have been a bit of a rattler for him.

Luckily, they had been the only two people in the office at the time. Lucky, because the engagement wasn’t announced for another three years due to their disastrous first time that night, and the whole “floating incident”
Remind me again, did he tell her before they slept together?

Whoah, so Lana was one of the people Walt had raped or attempted to rape(at least in his world)? I'm guessing Lana decided that a personal protector was what she wanted in life. It's sad that she felt like she needed to KEEP him her (singularly) personal hero.

Whenever another guy asked her to dance, she’d point over her shoulder with her thumb to where Clark was standing against the wall, observing, and advise the man, “I’ve got a boyfriend, and he doesn’t like it when other guys touch me; so buzz off.”
I'm guessing the Walt thing did a bigger number on her than Clark ever realized. Clark doesn't sound like he was ever jealous of the other people out there that she could dance with. I'm guessing she's just using him as an excuse at that point.

“I’d rather have a kiss,” he replied after she turned away. He had liked his ties.

She had stiffened and glanced over her shoulder at him. “Don’t press your luck, Clark.”

“It wouldn’t be good to have our first kiss under the mistletoe with your whole family watching, now would it?” he said, feeling more confident than he ever had in her presence. “Especially if we’ve been going steady for a while now.”
Sounds like he's starting to toe that line she seems to have laid out there for NO ONE (not even Clark) to pass. I'm also guessing she's willing to (for her "guardian angel") carefully slide the line back just a little bit.

“How about this?” he suggested, leaning against the doorway. “Next Friday night, I take you out to dinner on a real date. I’ll tell you about my hopes and dreams, and you’ll tell me about yours. We get to know each other, and if you’re still interested, you kiss me at the end of the evening, and we go from there.”
And finally trying to actually DATE her and not simply be a chauffeur.

He had kissed her after the second date. It was a soft kiss and lasted longer than the one she had given him after their first date.
Showing much more affection in his kiss than the one from Lana.

His fascination with Lana though, had been completely different than his attraction to Lois. In hindsight, during months of aloneness after he first became Superman, Clark realized he had considered Lana beautiful, and therefore thought that he was in love. He felt an instantaneous connection and bond with Lois, and consequently thought only of her. Naturally, he always thought Lois was alluring, even in baggy sweats and no makeup.
Lois is a kindred spirit in the sense of what she believes in and does and that makes her attractive in a way that Lana never would be able to attain.

There was nothing really in his hometown to draw him back, but he didn’t know where else to go and Lana’s father had offered her a job at his bank.
Ah, so she's the banker's daughter. That actually makes a lot more sense on the financial questioning. I do think that telling Clark he wouldn't amount to much is rather cynical though, even with the fact he couldn't seem to hold a foster family. Not much hope for humankind in general and it seems like it might have carried over to Lana.

“It’s cold outside, baby. Stay,” he whispered, coming to her side. He kissed her lips gently. “Stay.” He kissed her again.

“I thought you didn’t want a physical relationship,” she had murmured, leaning against his chest. She had sounded tempted.
Lana: I like his kisses a lot and he's so kind and understanding with me. Maybe...

She grabbed onto the wrought iron railing, and turned to wave at him, but her high heeled boots slipped on the icy steps and she fell backwards over the railing, disappearing into the dark.

Working on autopilot, Clark caught her before she hit the ground. “Lana, are you all right?”

“You were there, and then you were here,” she sputtered in disbelief, her heart racing. She pointed at him and then back up at his open door.
I'm guessing he should have waited a day and then told her letting her have time acclimate to the "how did he do that?"-edness of his abilities. Both Canon and Alt-Clark were past that when he told Lois (or when Alt-Clark tells Lois in this case.)

“I know, but I’m not limited by that.” He zipped up the stairs with her in his arms, and set her down on the sofa. “I’ll be right back.”

Less than five minutes later, he returned with a bottle of bourbon. She hadn’t moved. At his entrance, she gasped and pointed at him. “When did you put on your shoes and jacket?”
*facepalm* I know you're about to tell her but doing too much of that at one time it going to scare her.

She took another sip, and then another, before swallowing. “You’re really an angel then, aren’t you?” she asked, looking at him hopefully.
Of course are angels (stereotypically) asexual and not interested in physical intimacy?

He told her about having to hide each new development and ability from his foster parents, and about the one family who had thought he was the devil incarnate because of his heat vision.
Ouch, I'm guessing they attempted some sort of prayer/exorcism for him or something like that. Poor Clark. whinging whinging *to Clark*

c'mere. sloppy

Clark: thanks but -no offense, Christina- but I would rather have that kiss from Lois.

Lois: Not yet bud.

He had wanted children and a family so desperately. A family of his own would make him feel like he belonged somewhere, like he had roots. He had known early on that Lana hadn’t wanted children. She repeated this fact often enough, it was almost a mantra. Now, he was beginning to wonder if it was just his children she hadn’t wanted to have.
Yep, I figured this would be universal.

I love Gunne Sax dresses. I have two of them in my personal costume collection (neither of them fit anymore sadly) and they're both of the square low-cut variety with poofy sleeves (one of them looks almost identical to the blue dress that Giselle wears in "Enchanted" except it's denim.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)