41. Explosive Eighteen, by Janet Evanovich

In this installment in the series, Stephanie is pursued by the FBI, two fake FBI agents, and a terrorist named Razzle Dazzle, all of whom want a photo that was accidentally slipped into her bag while she was en route from Hawaii to Trenton. There are brief descriptions of her Hawaiian vacation, which would have made a better novel than this one.

42. Fifty Shades of Grey, by E. L. James

This is the famous erotic work adapted from a Twilight fanfic. It had its moments, but frequently I found myself going, "Seriously? That's supposed to be erotic?" I guess I don't quite understand BDSM (although from what I've read, this book gets a lot of things wrong about the BDSM scene, so who knows). Anastasia's subconscious and "inner goddess" war for her attention, which I think is supposed to be like devil vs. angel but which frequently make her sound like she suffers from multiple personality disorder. Still, there was something of a plot, and I felt sorry for the characters at the end of the book.

Anastasia decides she doesn't like pain and breaks up with Christian, and they're both miserable.

In spite of everything, the book had enough good moments that I think I'll read the next two books in the trilogy to see what happens.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland