I don't think it means that I shouldn't post my favorite authors/stories names just because the rest (myself included) are going to be disappointed that their names didn't feature in the list! There are hundreds of authors here and I think those who are best need to be given a boost like this somewhere
How about a private e-mail or a PM to the author(s) to let them know? If they're still around they'll really appreciate it and find it encouraging.

There have been 'favourite' lists in the past on these mbs and they always wind up discouraging more writers than they encourage.

Here we have the Kerths - it's sort of a group thing, though, because a lot of people nominate and then vote on the stories. You can check out the past lists of nominees.

I know in RL there are these types of award lists - but people on those lists are paid for what they do. Here, that's not the case. We write because , well, because smile
But it's hard to be reminded that, well, there's a reason why we're not paid for this stuff. smile

This has strayed away from your topic of genre preference , I know.

c.