I think it's probably best if you just insert a small 'imo' in coolgirl's post, SlotMadden, and leave it at that. wink

Such statements are always personal in nature and there are no rules here that state you - or anyone else for that matter - have to agree with them.

But there's very little to be gained by being wounded by such personal opinions. Agree with them. Don't agree with them. Shrug and move on if it's the latter.

Certainly, letting one person's praise for their favourite author dissuade you from writing and posting your own fanfic seems pretty pointless. Who knows how many readers out there might enjoy your work? Until you try, you'll never know. But it's probably best to accept right now that no matter how talented an author you are, there will always be other authors more talented, less talented - both in reality and perceived to be by other readers. There are fanfic authors out there who are enormously popular whose attraction escapes me. laugh But what the hey - different strokes and all that.

If you're constantly comparing yourself to everyone else and trying to beat them, you're doomed to frustration before you even begin. Write your stories for the fun of it, for the pleasure they give you. Post them to share that pleasure with others. And I'm sure you'll find some willing readers here on the forum. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers