I voted PlainText. I'm so horribly old school. I don't believe in HTML in email. Absolutely hate it. And not only can I code HTML with my eyse closed, I do it in WordPad (better than Notepad because it has the last 4 files in the File menu). I think the Archive is almost fine just the way it is. However, I don't print out stories. Until recently, I didn't have a printer at home, and I'm just used to reading it on the screen.

Word and RTF is much to be avoided, not only for the reasons listed above, but because it won't display in a web browser. The reason why the choice is TXT and HTML is that both will readily display in a web browser. The other two must be downloaded to the computer itself before it can be opened.

I think the original reason for the current line break format on the archive was screen size. If I remember correctly, the current width is 72 or 80 characters. Back in the day of text browsers, ya know, before all these fancy graphics you youngins are used to, that was as much that fit on the screen. Even with the advent of graphical browsers (which came along well before the Archive, but was still pretty darn fancy for the time), it looked just fine on a 640x480 resolution. It's a bit outdated today with these larger monitors and higher resolutions, but no one has ever brought up changing the line length. (Hey, look, another poll!)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited